Sign in to follow this  
gripper924

brake problems

I have had no brake problems until this morning when I set off down the road and when first pressing the break felt a rotational resistance.

I pushed the brakes harder after speeding up and it sort of felt like the ABS was kicking in, although the braking was significantly worse.

I do about 1000 miles a year in my Corrado so it spends most of its life in my garage, hence this is a sudden change rather than gradual - it was fine two weeks ago when I last drove it. I am grateful for any ideas on what the problem is.

Bleed them, make sure all the air is out the system, not sure of what else could be causing this unless you have a stone in your caliper or something of the sort.

Check lines also, make sure there are no splits or leaks... this may cause prolems but it should just loose pressure resulting in a floppier pedal if this was the problem.

Good luck.

Sounds like you may indeed have your ABS system being activated, I have experienced this before when there is a fault with the air gap between wheel speed sensor and rotor. This can be caused by deffect or dirt or other foreign body caught in the rotor. A worn wheel bearing, or insecure wheel speed sensor. It would help you to diagnose this fault if you can scan the ABS ECU for stored fault codes. Is the ABS warning light staying on beyond the self check period of a couple of seconds post ignition on? If the ABS is being activated you will feel a rapid pulsing sensation in the brake pedal, like stepping on a jack hammer is a quote I was told once!

Thanks for the replies.

A rapid pulsing sensation in the brake pedal is certainly a good description, verging on violent.

I have had many problems with the ABS sensor, eventually diagnosed as the warning light - this was 18 months ago and the ABS ECU was checked as okay, but the light would not go out. The ABS light is now wired to the battery start up light!

I had a new steering column fitted 6 months ago, but I dont think the two are related. The car is in very good condition for 16 years old, so the ABS sounds likely. Did your problem just appear, or was it gradual?

check the abs rings/phonic rings what the sensors read off, these can bend, causing abs to cut in, also check the suspension isnt worn out,