Sign in to follow this  
Fulltimejunglist

16v Radiator.

Its a 1.8 16v

It seems i have a leak as i put water in her and she pisses it all out at the front, asuming my rad is gone.

Trying to get it out and the 4 bolts holding it in are a rite bugger to get, behind the horn/grill/etc

There is the 2 on the left which seem impossible to get without taking ost the front off, is there an easier way of doing this as i feel im just missing some easy simple steps, tried taking fan and rad out but cant get the left side support out the hole...

Sorry but if my car didnt break so much i wouldnt have to ask.

I also have what i think is oil in the water, my car wont start, does this indicate anything specific?

As my mot expired 7 days ago and i want her back.

Cheers fellas

the rad is only held in by the 2 screws on the top of the slam panel, its pretty easy to take out

2 bolts on slam panel and 4 self tapping bolts on the sides that hold plastic panels on.i took horns off and maybe headlights.oil in water could be oil cooler i done mine last sat because i had oil in my water

it's just about possible to do those self taping bolts with a spanner without removing any of the front, IIRC it takes a little while and patience turning a little at a time but I've definitely done it without removing the bumper.

the plastic air guides on each side are best removed using a socket with extension bar attached, they're a bit too recessed for using just a spanner or normal socket iirc.

Ive just bought a 16v radiator off ebay for 28 quid with p n p brand new, came the next day aswell! Really easy to change just make sure you have some coolant ready bought before you drain the system!

Ive just bought a 16v radiator off ebay for 28 quid with p n p brand new, came the next day aswell! Really easy to change just make sure you have some coolant ready bought before you drain the system!

Hold it up to the light and compare with the original one, I'd imagine what you'll see is the new one has round cross tubes about the thickness of you little finger, the true 16v one will have twice the number of flatter tubes giving a much bigger surface area for cooling.

It should work OK though, just keep an eye on temps in the very hottest days in the summer, what you will probably have is a 1.3/1.6 carb mk2 golf radiator, same external size but lower heat exchange capacity.

Correct, I picked up the old one and was like mmmm heavy quality, the new one feels like its made of tin foil, but it will do for now lol

Cheers people, i will have another go at removing it, i did remove the two bolts on the slam pannel but it would not pull out after i had done so, cheers again.

Been working ym arse off so havnt got round to it but will have a go now.

Thanks

Which rads are recomended, cheers.

Got it out, bit of a bugger but al least it out, bit messy but got there eventually.

Is there a chance it could leak from around the sensor or what ever the plug is on the bottom right of the radiator?

Im asuming the only way to test it is with a bath?

aha.

Cheers.

Aidan

Also how the hell do you properly do the clips which hold the hoses on, ones which you can wedge a screw driver in and prise off, took me ages.

I hate vw for things like those.

Should be jubilee clips which just unscrew, the clamp type clips are a pain, i use mole grips, my old boss used to have the proper tool for it but i can't justify getting one...

the VW clips might be a pain but you know the hose is clamped evenly with the correct pressure and they won't damage the rubber either.

I'd fit a genuine VW radiator none of the pattern ones I've seen are up to much, they'll do, but they're the sort of thing you fit to a run-around not a 16v engine you thrash.

For the temperature sensor in the radiator, you can buy a little fabric type gasket from VW - they don't list it on the Corrado parts catalogue on ETKA but if the dealer flips over to the MK2 Golf of similar era, they should be able to find it. Just slips over the sensor and is sticky backed and just helps ensure a nice seal when you screw it into the radiator. I'd gone through instant gasket and PTFE tape.. both worked with some success but this is much neater and works just as well.

Would strongly advise taking the price on the chin and getting a genuine VAG one.. they're so much better than all the pattern ones out there! :)

Which would be the best option if im thrashing it, standard one?

Cheers.

also, is this one not advised?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Radiator-VW-Corra ... f3ffe4212a

like I said, they'll work, but don't have the same surface area of cross tubes as a genuine VW one, a true VW one is more effecient than a 635mm GTI rad, I found temperatures fluctuated more with a cheap rad, once you are moving at speed and the airflow is good the cheaper ones are OK, it's when the weather is very warm or when you do a lot of stop start driving that the cheap ones are a little dicey.

VW didn't change the 16v rad when they upped the capacity to 2L, so it's got plenty in reserve :)

I think the Denso Marsden ones are OEM for our cars? Maybe someone can confirm.

yep, that's the label on the core

cheers for that all.

Does that mean id be able to use a 2l valvers rad also?

As i would obviously rather a vw one as i do do alot of driving in traffic and my car had troubles with overheating anyway when sitting still...

Im imagining their alot more pricey than £30... when tbf thats three a year if their £120... pretty much worth buying a cheaper one anyway...