Sign in to follow this  
D.A.M IT!

Dizzy VR6 to Coilpack VR6 conversion

I'm thinking of buying a donor car this coming weekend which has the older type dizzy VR. The engine on the donor car has essentially been reconditioned with new chains and tensioners etc and also bored out to 3 litres :D I want this to replace my VR which is the later coilpack version.

I want to make this donor engine run on the coilpack from my car. So I thought I'd do a bit of a search on here about this, but didn't really find exactly what I was looking for. From what I can tell would it just need the end cap and cams changed over to convert it?? and also would the fact that this donor engine is now a 3 litre make any difference?

any help or advice on this would be gratefully received, as I don't really wont to waste money on this if it would be better really to find a coilpack version engine instead

Cheers,

Doug

Hi doug

just done this myself and currently still putting it all back together.

I went the change the engine wiring loom route, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

If you go the cam route, ie change the end plate etc, you might have some additional wiring to do to. Not sure.

from my experience with the dizzy's, loose it asap. More trouble than it's worth.

Because your changing to coilpack with a dizzy engine, thinking about it, then the cam end plate is the route to go.

Just bear in mind that the wiring for the hall sender will need to be sorted.

If you get stuck, give me a holler

Enjoy

Dic

Cool thanks for that Dic. Looks like its a goer on getting this donor car then.

One thing though when you say the hall sender wiring will need to be sorted what do you mean exactly? I kinda thought/hoped that since my car is a coilpack version already that all I would need to do is do a swap over on the cams and end plate. apologies for my ignorance on this :S

From what you say though it sounds like it shouldnt be too much trouble to sort it all out. I wont be doing the conversion for a while yet anyway but when i do I'll probably be giving you a shout :D

thanks again. D

Yep, if your car is a coilpack flavour (i.e. ECU and harness) already, then all you need to do is make the necessary mechanical changes and connect it up and it will work!

Converting a VR6 that was Dizzy flavoured to begin with requires the coilpack ECU and harness on top.

yep

if your changing the end plate then it'll all be there

ignore the thing about wirng

with all the ones I've seen lately, i've got it on me brain. doh!!

yep

if your changing the end plate then it'll all be there

ignore the thing about wirng

with all the ones I've seen lately, i've got it on me brain. doh!!

lol no worries thanks for your help anyway Dic :)