Sign in to follow this  
carrots

16v air lock water loss

ive not long changed the oil cooler on my 16v as oil was pumping into the water,ive flushed the system a few times to make sure it was clean.ive taken the car for a few small trips about 20 mile each time,keeping an eye on the water.all seemed fine temp not getting to hot,fan working when i left the car ticking over for a while and heater blowing hot air.so i thought great its fixed :D .went out in it the other night and the low coolant light came on.checked it in the day light to find its used close on 2 pints off water.could this of been air in the system or has the head gasket gone.carpets dont seem damp and couldnt see any water leaks :shrug:

Does it start easily and run OK?

If there's no obvious leak I would refill it, run it again and keep a close eye on it. It may just be air that was in the system that's made it's way into the reservoir. Check for steam from the exhaust once it has warmed up the exhaust system as you may get condensation while the system is still cold.

cant see any leaks,it runs beter than ever :? .very slight miss on start up sometimes for 1 sec but it does seem to chuck out steam but not sure if thats the cold weather

Could have be an airlock, have you bled the system?

Might be worth checking the hose underneath the inlet manifold and the water flange by the dizzy. Both of those sprang hard to detect leaks on my valver - only found one of them by luck!

bleed the system 4 to 5 times when i was flushing the oil out,just hope its not the head gasket or thats my respray funds going again :(

just checked the water again and its fine,not sure about the steam tho coming out the exhaust when its hot.that says headgasket to me.