delfinis38

changing brake / clutch fluid.

Okay.. so the intention is to change the brake and clutch fluid on the VR at the weekend. I've read some of the guides on bleeding brakes on here and have 2 litre's of dot 4 ready to flush through the system.

But I was just wondering if anyone has any tips before I get stuck in ! I've changed the fluid in other cars before but never on the VR as the stealer normally does it.

My intention is to suck the old stuff out of the bottle, replace with new and pump the old stuff out of the pipes by pumping the brake pedal until new stuff has come through (hence buying 2 litres). I don't have any fancy equipment apart from one of those bottles with a pipe attached to collect the waste fluid.

I assume the clutch uses the same reservoir for the fluid, and I should not let the level drop too low to induce air into the system, I've also read that i need the ignition on to run the ABS pump (but i'm not convinced ??? ). Also the rear wheels should be on the ground to help the flow of the fluid.

Is this procedure correct given the tool I currently have.... I relise it will take time and 2 people. but i have plenty of time on my hands given the car hardly gets used.

thanks for any info or tips.

get a gunsons EZ bleed bottle from halfords or screwfix, attaches to tyre valve to pressurise system and push new fluid through, so much easier than pumping pedals and I get a better result.