northG60

G60 belt squeak/chirp ?

Hello all

My g60 is currently cherping/squeaking from a cold start but does quiten down once the car is warmed up.

I think its probably be the cambelt tensioner or idle pully ? or is there another cause ?

approx how much it would cost to have all belts (except cambelt which is new) pullys and tensioner done with a £50 hourly rate at a garage ? (just a rough idea as its going to the garage in 2 weeks)

cheers guys

quite possible its the fan belt/tensioner. around £20 for the belt and iirc about £12 for the tensioner.

very simple job to change it so wouldnt bother with a garage but if they want a a full hours labour for it then walk away.

Surely the tensioner is new if the cam belt is? I would check this anyway before you drive it again

I would check the other belts tension and also that the lower belt cover / splash shield is there

Cheers for the response

Well it's got it's MOT in two weeks thats why its gonna be at the grage, so i guess it'll have to be done then as i havnt got any free weekends before that. i have a recipt for the cambelt (belt on its own) and was told it was changed by a mechanic friend of the last owner last November.

Totally off topic but i did a compression check on all cylinders last week and they all made 160 which i think is pretty good for 120000 miles ?? also making about 11 - 12 PSI on full throttle on a 68 mm pully .....is this what to expect? or could be a leak as it is running the standard silencer outlet.

cheers guys

cambelt tensioner should have been changed at the same time as the belt without exception. not uncommon for the reciept to just say "timing belt change" or likewise.

if you can buy a tin of anti belt slip, then give the fan belt a spray, if it stops squeeling at you then you know what it is. as you are using a 68mm pulley, fit a smaller belt than the standard one if you replace it. squeeling fan belt not an mot fail as far as im aware.

68mm pulley should ideally be making around 15 psi, but depends where youre taking the measurement from, if your using the mfa (might not be dead on accurate), and have headwork done it will under read. do you know whent the charger was last rebuilt?

Its not a MOT fail as you say but i just dont want to have to make any excuses for the car (it must be perfect!)

The recipt i have is litterally just for the belt on its own but i have no proof other than word of mouth that is was done.

Right i'll get some anti belt slip and see if the fan belt is the issue.

68 mm pully was not done by me so it may very well need a shorter belt, i have measured it so i know that it is the 68 mm pully

the reading is taken from a SW gauge boost/vac from the innlet mannifold not MFA so its a bit down on boost then(bugger). The car is totally standard except the 68 mm pully and chip although again i dont have any proof lol.

i have no serivice history for the charger but im getting it done ASAP for peice of mind via G-werks or JMR.

cheers for this guys as im new to getting my head round the G60.

yeah it is a little low on the reading but as you say (and i forgot to mention) silencer box is a nightmare, the sooner it goes in the bin the better. you may well find that the psi will pick up after this.

if your friendly with the mot place they will prob not mind checking the cambelt tensioner for you as they would possibly get the resulting work from it.

def worth getting a rebuild for peace of mind then. jabbasport are becoming quite reasonable on price.

as mr shoes says over tight cam belt can cause noises but from my personal experience its more of a groaning/whirring noise, sounds alot like gearbox problems.

if/when you change the fan belt youll be able to tighten up the water pump belt tension too.

youll get your head round it soon enough though.

Belt chirp is more likely to be from the G60 idler pulleys not the cambelt.

As the idler pulleys have been disturbed during the cambelt job then it has probably been enough to mess one of those up and as it does it cold not warm this is an early indication of bearing failure.

It is also worth looking at the tensioner/damper for the G60 drive belt, they wear out and if you have not had a new one it would be worth fitting a replacement item. As for costs, the tensioner/damper is about £100 inc VAT and the idlers are around £15 inc VAT each (you need 2) and a belt is around £15. Should take a good garage no more than a couple of hours to change it all over.

Have a look in my G60 thread (link in sig) for more info on replacing the damper and and idlers as I did this job a few years ago and there are plenty of pics in there.

Again cheers for the help guys

I think i may aswell just go ahead and get all of the pully and belt checked out and changed as i dont really fancy doing it myself.

in regards to the silencer box i'm guessing that there is no difference between the RSR kit's offered by BAR-TEK and BBM ?

as for the charger re-build im going to go for stage 4 and jabbas porting work isn't as highly praised as JMR or G-werks

Cheers