bilum

valver - none starter

Hi all,

I've a 1.8 16v sitting under my car port, I've just bought it out of storage where its been for 4 years.

It was taken off the road as it just died on me about 3-4 weeks after I'd had it. It had a small problem with the engine revving to a point then the engine faltering then pushing through to the higher revs in this time, then I put £10 of petrol in, drove it the 2 minutes home and it literally just died as I was pulling in to the drive.

Now I've got it round at my house I can try and get it started, I have a donor 1.8 16v in the garage that was mechanically sound before the accident.

The problem, as far as I can tell is that there is no spark getting to the engine. I keep stealing the battery from our golf so I can work on it, I've put in new spark plugs, stolen the dizzy cap and HT leads off the other rado but nothing. Today I swapped over the black cylinder (starter coil? ) but again, the engine is turning over but is not starting.

There is petrol on the spark plugs as I've turned it over and removed them to check. I've got to put in more fuel and get it its own battery, but anyone any ideas on anything I can try?

mechanical noob by the way.

Is there anyway I can check to see if there is a spark getting through the ignition system at set points along it?

It's got an immobiliser fitted too, no idea on make or model though.

Could be a number of things, if you can rule out the immobiliser then the hall sender in the dizzy is worth a check. Basic tests are in golf or passat haynes manual.

If it's 1.8 KR then you will not have an immobiliser to worry about. I assume you have tried checking that there is no sperk at the plugs by visually resting one on the head while turning it over. As you have a "donor" engine have you tried the complete swapping the complete dizzy over to rule out the hall sender? If so it may be the coil that is the problem. The KR is a reasonably basic setup so it's realy a step by step diagnostic procedure.

Its a 3rd party immobiliser that was fitted after, you have to put a small plastic and metal tube against a contact point before you can start the engine.

I have in the past put the complete dizzy from the donor car on the none starter, but nothing, and I was told it would need the timing done, something I know nothing about so put the other one back on.

What I will do is rebuild the donor with parts, see if it starts, if it does I will then put all of the parts on the none starter, then see where we are.

thanks for the help so far, need to get this running and sold so I can put the funds into getting the G60 on the road :)

timing on the distributor is nothing more than the base advance setting, that's altered by simply turning the distributor slightly in it's oval bolt mounting holes, won't prevent the car from starting, if you get it too far one way it will idle fast and be a bit harder for the starter to turn over, too far the other way it will start very easily but idle slow (ignition too far retarded) to set it correctly you need a timing light, although you can get it pretty close by ear - car idles smoothly about 950rpm.

I reckon your aftermarket immobiliser is a prime suspect, main ignition coils rarely go wrong, again, given a haynes manual it will explain how to check the feeds to the ignition coil, one of these might be cut by the immobiliser.