thegrouch

Timing Chains - am I going mad?

In the middle of changing the chains and tensioners on my vr6 storm, I'm ready to fit the upper and lower covers back on and can I find the gaskets anywhere? Can I eck as like, so after an hour or so turning the shed upside down, I start asking myself if there actually are any gaskets or is was it just sealant between the block and covers? Hoping some of you Corrado perverts on here can help me out! Cheers

Yep, no gaskets at all, just the sealant. The proper stuff is uber-expensive from VW, about £35 a tube, but I bought it when I did mine and had no leaks whatsoever.

Make sure you really get the metal surfaces clean and free of any lumpy bits or old stuck on gasket sealant. Spend some time on that, GSF sell a good product, in a silver tube but quite expensive. I used a stanley blade, bit of sand paper and brake cleaner. Took a while to get all the areas clean but I changed the sump as well which took some cleaning up! Also, some of the gaskets dont quite meet on the joins or corners, its good seal them too.