kits550

VR engine bay, random wires, help?

Trying to sort my cooling issue and I've found two wires and something else of which I've no idea what they do, where they go, etc.

Looking at the front of the car, left side, in the engine support just behind the headlight wires, is a black cylindrical container with a black hose and a clear hose going into it. These hoses run back along the suspension strut then I couldn't see exactly where they went. There's no other wires. It sits in it's own little area and can also be seen from under the car, WTF is it?

In the same area, I have found a blue connector plug, male and female connected but the male (I think, I couldn't pull it apart) is connected to nothing. I traced the wire back and it runs along the inner wing, by the air filter, it has two thin wires which then go into a single black cover and the unconnected end has three small protrusions, looks like an aeroplane propellor from face on. Technical description I know.

Last wire is down by the fan. It's a thick black wire, that splices into the loom where the knock sensor wiring goes. The M/F connector plug sits in a small holding bracket which currently hangs loose. This wire has been sheared (possibly by the fan?) but I couldn't find another sheared black wire.

Any ideas on any of these?

The first one you describe is the carbon canister. It deals with the petrol fumes, rather than venting to atmosphere.

Not sure on the others- pics would help.

Hi and welcome. The black cylinder container sounds like the carbon can filter. doesnt seem to do anything these days due to their age but were used for emissions.

The blue plug sounds like the ambient temp sensor, that normally fits to the bumper

The last wire, I cant say for sure.

Cheers guys, that sorts two things out (the ambient temp sensor never crossed my mind!).

Can I upload pics direct from my comp or do I need to link them in from somewhere, photobucket or what have you?

[ATTACH]45091[/ATTACH]

Ok, pic attached.

The part in question is the black connector just above the fan mount in the picture. You can see it is attached to some sort of fixing bracket. The sheared wire goes off to the left and down, although the sheared bit is just out of shot. The wire behind and to the left is the knock sensor cable.