Sign in to follow this  
dkingvr6

VR6 Knocking sound!

Got a 93 Corrado VR6, problem is i get a knocking sound as i drive off and change gear, when i stop, also seems to do it nown again round roundabouts, its driving me mad!!

Basically been replacing parts on the car for last 6 months, to get the sloppyness out of the 100k covered.

Replaced:

All bushes- powerflex

All suspension - koni kit

All bearings

All ball joints

All track rod ends and tie rods

Adjusted steering rack play

Any ideas????

cheers

Cheers for the quick reply,

I did consider the CV joints, but never had them make such a solid sound before you can just about feel it through the floor???

Will investigate further, forgot to mention all engine mounts were changed also, and it will go away for a week or so then come back!!!! so you can see why im being driven mad!

By the way Aqua Blue Pearl has got to be the best colour, same as mine :-)

Thanks again

yeah, dodgy CV joints can be a royal pain in the ass when they do their intermittently clonking thing... :roll:

Could also be topmounts, but I'd assume that they've been done with the list you put in your first post... :?

Oh, and I agree with the colour thing! ;)

|

\/

CV's while changing gear????? Never heard a CV make a noise while traveling in a straight line. If they make a noise in a straight line then find a deserted carpark, apply full lock and put your boot down with the window open. You will hear the CV's if they have gone!!!!

If you get no click-click noise doing the above on either steering lock check the gearbox mounting. If a rusty couloured liquid is on top of it change both it and the front engine mounting. If no liquid is present then check/replace the front engine mounting.

Hope this helps.

All engine mounts have been changed, but spose could be a faulty new one (not too likely)

No clicking on full lock checked already, cant get it to repeat in gear on ramps!!!

And is easy to make happen when going up hill and letting on and off accelerator in second!!

Thanks for all the replies

I would suspect the CV's too. Our kids got a scirroco and had just the same problem- a real intermittent thumping that didn't even appear to be related to whether it was a straight line or a corner. New CV sorted it right out :D.

Never heard a CV make a noise while traveling in a straight line

I know what you mean- I was thinking that no way was it the CV joint- But it was :?

Oh, and I agree with the colour thing! ;)

|

\/

me too 8)

|

|

V

Aqua Blue Pearl = Proper Bo 8) :wink:

Aye same here - always get the 'what a gorgeous colour' when the sun is out comments :lol: