VW_OwneR_85

mk4 caliper upgrade potential problem..

hi guys, going to be fitting mk4 rear calipers very shortly {hopefully lol} already have the calipers and the conversion hoses should be here tomo, but my main concern is the brake fitting on my current braided hose , its so badly corroded that i dont think its going to come off without a fight or careful cutting etc ,never played with brake lines before so the fittings etc are new to me{ im very familiar with plumbing fittings and pipe flareing as a plumber but not car fittings}, but i consider myself competant so i wana give it fookn good go, any advice much appreciated, is the worst case that if the corroded fitting doesnt come off, idd have to cut out the corroded fitting and slide on the fitting and flare the copper pipe end and reconnect to my new hose? cheers

One though you could try is holding the union nut tight with a flare nut spanner of stiltsons and undoing the pipe, could even chop the pipe and use a socket as they are coming off anyway.

Have a look at Yan's VR6 thread - some good pics on pipe flaring and replacement.

Heat or penetrating oil will help - make sure you use a special brake spanner, as these are designed no to round off the unions. Otherwise it will be a cut - most motor factors will do you up a new pipe for very little if you bring the old one with you.

hi, actualy put my new hoses and calipers on today. the old fiitings were a pain to undo but i got it done, looking at the rest of the fittings they are corroded badly,i want to replace the copper from the rear calipers and the flexi hose thats by the beam pivot to the brake balance thingy, anybody know the part number for this hose? or send me a link for it? the rest ill just make up with copper pipe and new male fittings, heres the mk4 caliper fitted, mk4caliperon.jpg and heres the rotted fittings on the flexy hose, poor quality sorraay :(

rottedbrakefittings.jpg

Glad it worked out in the end. Didn't you want to change the discs at the same time? I've just done this mk4 change and we did the discs as well. They only cost £14 each!!! With new bearings as well, means you don't have to worry for a long time.

Volksworld13 on here makes the brake lines, give him a shout and I'm sure he will sort some out for you.

yea man, those are new disc's lol , well i did them about a week ago, its just surface rust, im abit gutted about the caliper carriers though, i painted up the mk4 one's along with the calipers but when i came to fit them they didnt fit, there to wide to fit inbetween the disc and the mounting,abit strange init? im guessing mine must of been from a special mk4?, didnt have time to paint my old carriers at the time,i have now got a spongey brake pedal though, didnt let the master cylinder drop below min, and pumped the air out via a mate on the pedal, pumped about 250mml of clear fluid through each rear caliper, im kinda guessing its the new disc's n pads bedding together? gona go for an early morning bed in seshion tomo, raddodiscnbearingsfitted.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

gona get a kit like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270709959440&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

but localy so i dont have to wait for shipping, might get a mini pipe bender aswell if its needed, cheers...