VW_OwneR_85

vr6, washed bonnet now car is un driveable :(

hi , i had the engine running whilest i was washing the dust off my bonnet and it suddenly cut out, i first thought that water must of got in some where ? it started back up first time! but now idles badley and the revs is up and down and cuts out on me, i tryed driveing it to warm the engine bay up but every time you take the power off it cuts out and jumps around like a kangaroo!! any ideas ? i would of thought its the isv but it was fine before i washed the bonnet, its got to be water related,btw this happened yesterday so it should be enough time for it to dry out, the previous owner i know had idle an problem but has been fine since i got it, so maybe only when its damp? which electrical connections would cause this? thanks..

Have you checked the airbox? Could well have sucked some water in. Get the airbox off and totally dried out and leave the MAF in an airing cupboard for a couple of hours. Also check the plugs/leads for water- give all the electrics a good dose of WD40.

Other than that, it could be a coincidental airleak, MAF failure, plugs/leads, ISV etc etc.

Has the car never been out in the rain? Either that or you must have an unconventional hosing :norty: style.

Has the car never been out in the rain? Either that or you must have an unconventional hosing :norty: style.

lol iv only owned it for about a month, so no it hasnt lol but it has been rained on but i guess didnt affect it as much as this frikin hose.

I killed one of my old 16v Corrados in the jetwash. Only a tiny bit got behind the headlamp, but it wouldn't run at all. Had to unplug a sensor on the side of the metering head (only way it wouldn;t conk out) and then drive it for a couple of hours. It was horrible to drive, but the engine heat dried everything out, and it recovered perfectly.

i've noticed a bit of foam missing from my bonnet and the water runs down the side of wing and pours onto battery

It'll be moisture/water in and around the plugs, leads and/or coil pack. Best to take them all off the car, dry them out overnight in the airing cupboard and reinstall. A split lead or coil pack is probably why the car has had idling problems etc in the past.

I'd agree with Roan, i drove through a massive puddle before i took the car off the road and it started behaving just like you described , popped the bonnet and had a good wee light show at the coil pack(now replaced and ready for the road in 2 weeks :) )

hi, thanks for the replys, thanks to cazzar i found my problem! :) the MAF plug was absolutly flooded with water,i didnt realise the maf would have such an effect on the idleing, those plugs are supposed to have seals right? i know theres a slight split in the rubber boot that shrouds the cables on to the plug but its not bad,also need to loom tape most cables again as the old stuffs brittle and realy tatty,is there supposed to be rubber seals on the bonnet that would sit on the wings when closed to prevent this? my battery was also covered in water,

It'll be moisture/water in and around the plugs, leads and/or coil pack. Best to take them all off the car, dry them out overnight in the airing cupboard and reinstall.

From washing the bonnet?...

Edited by andy