James14100

G60 Lambda Sensor?

Hi,

My G60 seems to be kicking out alot of unburnt fuel and is hunting revs on idle. Idle is set around 900RPM which seems ok but the hunting is frustrating as its just kicking out fuel. Also when i give it the beans I'm seeing a cloud of unburnt fuel behind me.

I'm suspecting this to be the Lambda sensor, could this be right? Is there a way I can unplug it without getting it on a ramp to see if it helps the situation?

Cheers,

James

Yeah - plug is near the rear engine mount (4 pins including an earth) - look for wire damage where the engine side of the loom as cable tied to the bulkhead

Could be year but could also be a lot of other things... G60 lamda's seem to expire every 60k or so and more often if overfueling so good place to start.

Should run ok when unplugged and if it's better then it's either a faulty sensor or wiring to it.

Ok thought as much. I'll unplug it and go from there. Hopefully will help save some precious V-Power, stuff is getting so pricey now :-(

Cheers, James

Ok so unplugged the lambda and still kicking out alot of unburnt fuel. Is blue temp sensor next? Is it ok to have both unplugged?

Check your boost pressure hose from back of the throttle body to ECU. If this is split, detatched or otherwise faulty it will cause the engine to run over rich, have a poor idle, and generate blackened smoke from exhaust. This hose should measure exactly 1 metre long, so if it is damaged replace it with a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started her up this morning. Swapped the two vacuum hoses that are super close to each other (I've had the TB off recently so may have plugged them back in wrong). Instantly idled better and less smoke. Plugged lambda back in. Still smoking a bit on the way into work under acceleration. Got to work and unplugged the blue temp sensor and when revving no smoke. Maybe the blue temp sensor then?

Ah nice one, sounds like the hose was the wrong way round then - that would cause a few issues!

I'd buy a new Temp sensor anyway but it shouldn't cause smoke - just mild overfueling so maybe proper setup needed

Not so much smoke, more like unburnt fuel IMO. Problem is no one at work knows anything about cars so trying to do all of this on my own lol

Blue temp then...i'll take a look on wagenstad and see if u can find a part number

Didn't sound like a lambda fault, glad to help fella. Wish I had a £1 for every time that prob has come to my attention at the garage over the years past.

Unburnt fuel not normal to produce White smoke. Black smoke is produced by unburnt or excessively rich fuel emissions. Blue smoke generated by engine oil being burnt. White "smoke" or steam as it should be referred to is a produced from water present in the emmissions. If your car has a cat then you can expect an amount of steam emissions on warm up phase, as water will be being burnt up in the system as it is a by product of what the cat generates. If the steam is continuous and excessive then there is likely to be an engine water containment fault allowing coolant into the combustion process, most commonly head gasket failure. Are you loosing coolant? Is the steam continuous? Is it steam at all, or blue smoke oil emissions. Is the engine running ok or is misfiring or rough at idle? Is the engine difficult to start when hot? Just some of the questions you need to answer for yourself as part of the deductive process.

No its definitely unburnt fuel. It's not using oil or water just **** loads of fuel. It's now got to the point where I'm having to move back to my Golf GTi as it's using too much fuel for my 60mile commute at the minute :-(

Ok so I've replaced blue temp sensor and lambda sensor and it's still kicking out unburnt fuel and giving me poor MPG. Only done 30miles worth of driving since changing. Would the lambda and temp sensor change affect issues instantly?

have you had this car on VAG-COM or similar? really need to do some diagnostics, check out any fault codes and see what the ECU is actually receiving signal-wise from each sensor.

G60 is Digifant isn't it? If it's anything like my 8v 2L was, then throttle pos sensor and distributor setting were pretty important in good running

You can't get a lot of info using vagcom, because the two twin connectors are not very advanced. Have you checked the 1m pipe properly? There may still be a split in it you have not found. The co2 pot could need setting up. Should be about 450 ohms resistance across outer pins.

ill put my money on the ecu hose or a problem with ecu. my hose acciendently came off once(knocked it off) and it ran excatly like james1400 car.especially on the overun when downshifting,sounded like a rally car