neo3670

Help! Loud whirring noise at speed!

Hi everyone, well the old girls going like a dream since the engine rebuild, but I have noticed louder than usual road noise which increases in volume as the car goes faster, I have just fitted new tyres all round and the noise is still there, and since a 600 mile round trip the noise is louder than ever but constant (no change when the clutch is depressed or coasting out of gear). There is no vibration from the steering wheel, so from searching the forum i am hoping its not the gearbox although I am now approaching 190,000 miles! I guess it could be the bearings, the top mounts are old but seem ok, can anyone else offer a few tips from there own experience? Would it be advisable to replace top mounts, suspension, etc. at the same time as doing the bearings? Any advice always gladly appreciated.

no harm in changing suspension at the same time as you will have to take the hub out to press out/in the wheel bearings. best to get a scribe and mark where the strut sits before you unbolt it.

possibly will need allignment doing after.

Thanks people!! I knew i could count on you. Think I will invest in a new set of bearings and change the shocks at the same time, I have noticed that the shocks are monroe, was that standard or have they been upgraded in the past?

Just as a headsup, it may not always be wheel bearings. 99% of the time it will be, but ive got the same problem on mine - just changed the bearings and its still there. Pretty sure mine is coming from the CV joint i discovered was knackered yesterday. No clunks when I turn, no split boot, just horrible whirring noise.