Donjon

Crankcase breather valve....

Mine has been missing since i bought the car and i have just been using a straight to atmosphere filter in its place. My question is, Should i replace it with the standard one or does it not make alot of difference? Thanks

Fine as it is, although, don't you get fumes coming into the car with it set up like that? You could fit a catch can, or route the filter down below the engine with some pipe if so. Or just get the PCV valve from Ford ;)

My pcv system was dumping oil into the inlet which was burning off through the engine and then coming out the exhaust as blue smoke!

I replaced mine with a simple breather filter and I've not had any blue smoke issues at all. The pcv system is designed to burn off the oily breather gases through the engine rather than release them to atmosphere.

I have this part without the valve. you can have it make. I also have one with the valve but would want some money towards a pint or two as these are quite sort after.

My pcv system was dumping oil into the inlet which was burning off through the engine and then coming out the exhaust as blue smoke!

I replaced mine with a simple breather filter and I've not had any blue smoke issues at all. The pcv system is designed to burn off the oily breather gases through the engine rather than release them to atmosphere.

The PCV is designed to route gases including HC blowby which pass the rings during engine warmup back into the intake so they can be burnt again and emissions can be reduced. The problem is, it will suck through oil mist that has been churned up from the crank too which is why you are burning smoke (although I wouldn't expect it to be THAT obvious unless something was wrong with your engine)

I thought the same boost monkey and checked everything I could on the engine. Compressions good, no sign of any oil on any of the spark plugs now and no blue smoke on the overrun. The thing is that if something was wrong with the engine it would have been doing it consistently. As soon as I removed the pcv system, the oil loss and blue smoke from the exhaust stopped.

That's really odd. Do you get a puff of smoke out the back when you start the engine too? that would indicate valve stem seals and you'd be looking at a head rebuild.

blue smoke under hard bootage is more likely to be piston rings, or the dreaded ovalisation of the VR bores.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its what i thought TBH just wanted to check. Might invest in a catch tank or reroute it down underneath the engine. I just dont like the idea of the engine mulling over its own crap again.

wow, thats fubard...buy mine ;-)

Quick sam what else looks fubard in that pic, you might be able to flog him a few other bits while your at it!

LOL

Quick question on the crank case breather.. with my valver off the road, I went back to using the VR - imagine my joy when sitting in some traffic after a 60MPH drive to notice a little smoke coming out from under the bonnet on the drivers side.

I pulled over and popped the bonnet. No sign of smoke or steam. I revved the engine a little and noticed as the revs dropped back down a little tiny bit of smoke appear from somewhere around where the crank case breather valve lives.. but it was hit and miss and wouldn't do it every time. Likely to be a split crank case breather? I've not noticed any more smoke either from under there since. Seemed to have an oily / exhausty kind of smell to it.

Edited by Jim

Does sound like the breather as i notice that on mine from time to time, hence why i want a catch can or reroute it.

wow, thats fubard...buy mine ;-)

You got one for sale?

Its been glued in the past so i've degreased it and hot glued it back together until i find a replacement..... Wheres that embarrassed smilie !

i almost got the same problem, although i have an early obd1 vr6, just has a straight offset pipe and no valve like you have, basicaly i thought the join was leaking as i had oil on my exhaust manifold which is why i was getting smoke,so i got some jubilee clips to make the joint sound as the pipe just press fitts, anyway i started wiggling the pipe off and my thumb went straight through the pipe! it was just perished and split underneith, so i got a new pipe comming, £25!!!!! though!http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270604109274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Quick question on the crank case breather.. with my valver off the road, I went back to using the VR - imagine my joy when sitting in some traffic after a 60MPH drive to notice a little smoke coming out from under the bonnet on the drivers side.

I pulled over and popped the bonnet. No sign of smoke or steam. I revved the engine a little and noticed as the revs dropped back down a little tiny bit of smoke appear from somewhere around where the crank case breather valve lives.. but it was hit and miss and wouldn't do it every time. Likely to be a split crank case breather? I've not noticed any more smoke either from under there since. Seemed to have an oily / exhausty kind of smell to it.

It'll be what I mentioned previously, HC blowby gases which passed the rings and also a fine oil mist which is pre churned by the crank.

I too had this problem, broke in the same place, and after contacting Ford and finding out that it was £36 ex vat, money i didnt have, i thought 'sod it, its already broken, lets see if i can fix it'

So i removed both broken parts and replaced it with a single hose to fill the void and plugged the small hose coming from the top while i thought of a way to solve the broken pipe. First things first was to take it apart, now i dont have any pictures of this but its a very basic part with a bit of rubber in it which, if air is drawn the in a certain way will restrict the air flow. That is pretty much it, the hose section that broke was basically a 'T' shape, with the top part being rubber welded through the plastic.

I took the part to my dads and sorted through various things to replace the 'T' hose. I cleaned up all the old rubber and found a piece of threaded brass pipe work that was a perfect fit! After cutting a few bits off of the brass pipe i found a rubber washer, fitted it all and glued it back up. Needless to say i tested it by blowing through it and blocking all the exits and there was no gaps or holes so i cut the threaded part down (was about 3inchs long) so it would fit onto the car, fitted it and so far so good!

Goes to show that with a bit of ingenuity the stealers cant take our money! Hopefully it will last, i may replace it later down the road but if it works then why bother right now!

Apologies for the slightly blurry pictures, they were taken from my phone. You might notice a small piece of clear tubing, as the brass pipe, plus additional hose, were slightly longer than the original i had to alter the position of the breather valve for it to sit properly so the small vacuum outlet was underneath instead of on top. I had the brass pipe in the garage but if you were to purchase something (which would be a fraction of the cost of a new one) then you could get something a bit smaller than the part i used.