stu37

Is it time to bit the bullit....?

Hi guys recently posted gearbox trouble with my vr and had to get a new box! After removing the box (on my own :o( ) It was evident that my clutch was knackered!!!! It had plenty of life left in the plate tho it looked as if the fibre material was starting to break up.. I think this may have been because the car had been laid up for some time..

My question is do I change the chains now? My car is on 90k and sounds pretty quiet. The more I deliberate about doing it the more uncertain I am. I have had a search on the net and the chains seem easy to obtain but the tensioner blades are not so? Has anyone got an idea of the best supplier price etc and if an upgrade is available?

Any help guys would be most appreciatted.

If you're taking the gearbox and clutch off you might as well do the chains at the same time - even if they're not rattling they're at least 16 years old so definitely time to change 'em!

Go for proper VAG, no point trying to save a few pennies on such a critical part...

M.

I had the same issue when I needed my gearbox rebuilding. Didn't do it myself but got the garag to do it while everything was exposed.

I think the golf mk4 tensioner parts are an option and considered better than the originals.

I would definately do it while you have access. As much as I think the whole chain thing is overblown on VR6s, I would always do it while I had the chance. Mine is on 150k on the original (quiet) chains and I haven't felt the need to pull it apart. However if the clutch started acting up I'd do it all for piece of mind.