VWVW

cable around the fan arm

In the process of replacing my heater matrix without the dashout method...There are several cables within the grey protective foam (highlighted in red in the pic) which is wrapped around the fan arm. How do I go about disconnecting it. Cant seem to see a way of doing it.

The cable seems to go into the cluster of relays.

Edited by VWVW

the relays are mounted on a steel plate, they just slide off (may be a bit stiff) you should be able to wiggle them off. then just clip them back in place.

the relays are mounted on a steel plate, they just slide off (may be a bit stiff) you should be able to wiggle them off. then just clip them back in place

cheers Jok I will try and slide it off.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Ive just had a closer look with better lighting. The steel plate containing the cluster of relays are definately held by 2 plastic nuts. Its very difficult to get a spanner in there to loosen them. Iam just a little worried about sliding the relay off as they are a bit stiff. Anyone else can confirm that they do just slide off.

Edited by VWVW

ABS relays but those cables are not standard, looks like an alarm fitter bodge!

Cheers Superchared

Just my luck!!! Thats the only hold up on the heater matrix removal. Those mass of cable within the grey protective foam is preventing me from releasing the arm as its wrapped around it.

Cheers Superchared

Just my luck!!! Thats the only hold up on the heater matrix removal. Those mass of cable within the grey protective foam is preventing me from releasing the arm as its wrapped around it.

The grey foam is the original stuff and does go to the 3 relays as jok mentioned, they will slide off with a good wiggle.

The alarm fitters (ahem) bodge is the other two wires that are not in the foam wrapping, they may well stop you for removing the heater box.

Personally after just having replaced the heater matrix I would spend the extra hour or so that it takes to get the dash out, its only held in by 4 bolts and 1 nut (2 bolts live under the scuttle), and makes the heater box removal a lot easier.

Make sure you clean out all the gunk and debris from the bottom of the matrix housing as that is what makes them go pop along with skanky coolant, well worth cleaning up the lever and sticking some fresh foam on the flaps as they will be well past there best too. I also replaced every seal in the heater system, about £20 all in from VAG and it means I am not losing what little airflow there is through gaps in the system.