G60rob

G60 oil warnings and speedometer madness

The speedometer occasionally goes bonkers and indicates all sorts of ridiculous speeds. I assumed this might be the sensor as it seems to be a common fault.

But a couple of times the oil warning light and buzzer have come on briefly. It first happened two years ago, then again today.

Is this more likely to be an instrument panel fault, or sensor faults? (Or, knowing the Corrado, both!)

Do you have a buzzer on your oil warning light? Thats rockin!

I would imagine the two are not directly related... Try to check the sensor on the gear box for the speedo first. you may have a loose wire or something. I assume you have plenty of oil in the car?

Sensor is a cheap part to replace... suspect this if the car has had a clutch change.

Otherwise it could be a mobile phone interfering with the signal...

Sensor is a cheap part to replace... suspect this if the car has had a clutch change.

Otherwise it could be a mobile phone interfering with the signal...

I take it you're referring to the speed sensor on the gearbox? I was going to try replacing that but then this oil warning came back and I started to wonder if there was a common electrical fault.

It's still on the original clutch, it's only done 125 000 miles.

It's intermittent so hard to know if it's phone interference. I'll have to drive without my mobile switched on and see if it still does it.

sound like wires have broken insulation and the feed from the oil pressure cable is sending 12v through the speedo line or earthing to chassis. Does it happen at the same time? or different times?

Alex that oil buzzer is the only thing that saved my engine when it dropped the coolant at the nurburgring,didnt notice the coolant light flashing.lol

ive a early g60, early 91 model,doesnt have a sunroof. both g60s i had had the buzzer.... strange you dont alex!!hmmm

My 1991 G60 has the buzzer, when running on minimum on the dipstick I get a buzz when going around corners quickly. Not very gd when the oil pump sucks up fresh air!

sound like wires have broken insulation and the feed from the oil pressure cable is sending 12v through the speedo line or earthing to chassis. Does it happen at the same time? or different times?

Different times. The oil warning has only happened twice, the speedo reading goes haywire quite often.

All cars had that buzzer like the MK2 Golf...

It's not really a warning buzzer though - more of a 'that's why your engine just blew up buzzer'

It's not really a warning buzzer though - more of a 'that's why your engine just blew up buzzer'

Thats what i said to my wife after the last two cars shes had ran out of oil!!!!! :o

Well.... That's yet another thing to add to the list then.... :(