j_s14a

Corrado TDi, where from and how much?

Hey guys/gals,

Looking to replace my current Supra with something diesel, due to escalating fuel costs :(

However, I've seen a few threads around about TDi conversions in Corrados, and this looks quite interesting to me :) I've already owned a valver and a VR6 in the past, so I know these cars fairly well.

Does anyone know what companies offer this conversion, and an approximate price?

Also, I've read that the G60 is the best starting place for this conversion, is this true?

G60 start is not true, valvers work just as well or even a VR.

Depends on the route you want to head down, easiest conversion is using a 1Z or similar engine from a 93-96 Passat as it is more plug and play but they are a mere 90bhp unit.

Next option is a PD based unit and they go all the way up to 170bhp IIRC, although this is a lot more work and will require a new mounting point welding on the subframe and more.

I've just done a TDi conversion into a Corrado 8V, using VR6 running gear.

As Yandards has said, there are two options with the engine - the earlier VW TDi engines with the VP pump, which are either 90 or 110bhp as standard but can be tuned to give big power fairly easily, or the more modern PD engine which has more power out of the box but is quite a bit more involved when it comes to the fitment, both in terms of physically getting it in the car and also the electrical side of things.

My preferred choice would always be the earlier engine as its still readily available and is much cheaper than the PD units - my complete B4 donor cost me £400 and provided pretty much everything that I needed.

A Corrado VR6 would actually be the best car to start with if you're looking at doing the VP TDi rather than PD. This is because the VR6 already has the correct subframe and front crossmember - all of the other Corrado's (8V, 16V, G60) would require both of those items changing before doing anything else. The VR6 also has the benefit of a slightly wider track (+20mm), and hubs that allow the easier fitment of bigger brakes (288/312mm etc). Electrically there is no difference, and you'd make more money selling the parts of the VR6 off during the stripdown process (engine, box, loom, ancillaries etc) than you would if you had any of the other cars.

Have a look at my build thread (link in my signature) if you want to get an idea of whats involved. I'm seriously considering offering this conversion as a 'drive in, drive out' job, let me know if you're interested in talking about it.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom, Read through your TDI build thread the other day, brilliant stuff, top work! What kind of power can you easily get of the VP? And what mods would need doing to achieve it?

You have really got me thinking about doing one of these conversions now! I have been looking at the PD engined donors but as you say they can bea lot more expensive and more work.

Be interested to know what you do regarding the drive in / drive out conversion Tom and to know how much it'd cost.. engine in my valver is TIRED and a diesel daily driver would be the answer so I could start spending some time on the VR!

A Corrado VR6 would actually be the best car to start with if you're looking at doing the VP TDi rather than PD. This is because the VR6 already has the correct subframe and front crossmember - all of the other Corrado's (8V, 16V, G60) would require both of those items changing before doing anything else.

Huh? Why do you say that? The VP TDI from the B4 is a straight bolt-in to any Corrado - the subframe doesn't matter at all.

I would say the G60 is the best donor since the intercooler is already there. VR6 and G60 the PAS bottle is out of the way of the intercooler pipework, as its behind the battery as opposed to the 16V where it is on the chassis leg. Also VR6 and G60 have the right radiator setup to clear the pipework.

The 16V is probably the least preferable, but thats what I used for mine since its what I had. I just fitted the G60 intercooler, PAS bottle and radiator.

Huh? Why do you say that? The VP TDI from the B4 is a straight bolt-in to any Corrado - the subframe doesn't matter at all.

I would say the G60 is the best donor since the intercooler is already there. VR6 and G60 the PAS bottle is out of the way of the intercooler pipework, as its behind the battery as opposed to the 16V where it is on the chassis leg. Also VR6 and G60 have the right radiator setup to clear the pipework.

The 16V is probably the least preferable, but thats what I used for mine since its what I had. I just fitted the G60 intercooler, PAS bottle and radiator.

I said it purely because of engine mount compatibility and in terms of retaining the original TDi engine mounts. My donor B4 used the same engine mounts as the Corrado VR6, rather than the 16V/8V type. Like you say though you could swap the alloy engine mount from the 16V/8V block onto the TDi block (and the same with the steel front mount) but then you're reverting to mounts that aren't designed for the torque of the TDi. If VW found it necessary to fit the VR6 mounts to the B4 (and Golf TDi) then I personally would rather go down that route. That's not to say that the 16V/8V mounts aren't up to the job, its just if the option of better mounts is there it makes sense (in my opinion) to use them.

However it is worth mentioning that if you get a B4 donor rather than a mk3 Golf it already has the correct front crossmember which fits straight onto the Corrado.

I'm writing this on my phone so sorry if it reads a bit strangely!

Cheers

Tom

If not perfect the mk3 gti/16v/vr6 and corrado vr6 mounts are definitely better than the mk2 derived 4cyl corrado ones

I've just done a TDi conversion into a Corrado 8V, using VR6 running gear.

As Yandards has said, there are two options with the engine - the earlier VW TDi engines with the VP pump, which are either 90 or 110bhp as standard but can be tuned to give big power fairly easily, or the more modern PD engine which has more power out of the box but is quite a bit more involved when it comes to the fitment, both in terms of physically getting it in the car and also the electrical side of things.

My preferred choice would always be the earlier engine as its still readily available and is much cheaper than the PD units - my complete B4 donor cost me £400 and provided pretty much everything that I needed.

A Corrado VR6 would actually be the best car to start with if you're looking at doing the VP TDi rather than PD. This is because the VR6 already has the correct subframe and front crossmember - all of the other Corrado's (8V, 16V, G60) would require both of those items changing before doing anything else. The VR6 also has the benefit of a slightly wider track (+20mm), and hubs that allow the easier fitment of bigger brakes (288/312mm etc). Electrically there is no difference, and you'd make more money selling the parts of the VR6 off during the stripdown process (engine, box, loom, ancillaries etc) than you would if you had any of the other cars.

Have a look at my build thread (link in my signature) if you want to get an idea of whats involved. I'm seriously considering offering this conversion as a 'drive in, drive out' job, let me know if you're interested in talking about it.

Cheers

Tom

That sounds exactly the service I'm looking for :)

I'd want it running at least 150hp really. So say I supply a B4 donor, and a suitable VR6, approximately what cost would I be looking at for the fitting?

Actually, I've got access to a nice non running valver, so that may be an option.

Mine was a '95 2.0 16v before i put an '98 AGU 1.9tdi in out of a seat cordoba, I used the rear engine mount off the 2.0l engine bolted to the tdi block and it sat right in no prolem, i would also recomend the earlier engines as what u lack in power and refinement you make up for in ease of installation and being able to run veg oil, good luck anyways