itsmeagain

Fuel pump

My fuel pump has recently started sounding quite noisey, and on 3 occasions caused the car to lose power and cutting out. Then it has no power at all, if it's left for a while it will run fine until the fuel pump gets louder. During a recent service the following parts where changed: oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, rotor and dizzy cap.

I am confused whether it's the fuel pump or something else. It feels like the engine is being starved of fuel causing the loss of power.

Any ideas welcome.

Edited by itsmeagain

I would check that you have power to both pumps before you go spending a lot of money, mine had a bodge job of a wiring loom for the fuelling and found that there was no powefr to the lift pump which made the underside pump noisy as it struggled for fuel and would eventually stop. Would start again after a short while but would happen again a few days later.

Worth a look ;)

will be the inline fuel pump under the car...i had same issue...replaced the intank pump and sender didnt work...then the inline pump where the filter is ...especialy be this pump if when you turn ignition on and it primes makes nasty noises or very loud...as now mine is replaced when ignition goes on no noise smooth as...

could be that new fuel filter is now showing up a weak pump ...as you do find on older vw's if you replace 1 part it always leads to another as new parts make weak parts weaker depending on what are of the car you work on...

will be the inline fuel pump under the car...i had same issue...replaced the intank pump and sender didnt work...then the inline pump where the filter is ...especialy be this pump if when you turn ignition on and it primes makes nasty noises or very loud...as now mine is replaced when ignition goes on no noise smooth as...

could be that new fuel filter is now showing up a weak pump ...as you do find on older vw's if you replace 1 part it always leads to another as new parts make weak parts weaker depending on what are of the car you work on...

Thanks for the advice, would you buy a new one or find a 2nd hand one

i got mine used on here of a nice chap ...works fine and is also a bosch one...the inline one under the car can be expensive new .,,,the intank one isnt ,,,,but i also got this on forum and again works like new,,,,stick a wanted post up....other think to watch is the pipes under the car at the pump etc can be badly rusted may need replacing and if so your as well to why your there...you can get these from vw or again put wanted post up...or do what i did took my old rusty ones off took to local company called pirtek http://www.pirtek.co.uk/ (are nation wide) or a company like them and they made me new pipes up at the cost of about £20 and far better than vw's as also stainless so wont ever rust again....they also done my power steering pipes on a mk2 16v again about £20 i nstead of ££££££ and again better quality