iR6

Gear selection issue

Hi people, after a little advice please, ive done a search on my problem though nothing definitive comes back.

Having a trouble selecting 5th gear whilst on the move, if i'm not carefull with the 4th to 5th change it can easily go up into 3rd. 5th just does not have a positive feel. Seems fine whilst stationary.

Anyway, could this be a problem at the stick end of the linkages on the gearbox, or even the box itself?

Car is a 94 vr6 and any pointers would be really apprectiated, i have had a look but would rather not touch anything until I have a better understanding.

Thanks muchly

Hi I have recently had a real problem with my gearbox. Its worth popping the gear stick surround (below gearstick and looking for play or anything catching). Also in the engine bay have a look at the linkage connecting points as one of mine had come loose causing increasing sloppyness. I would say check the linkage ends with regreasing and maintenance first. If you can get somone to run through the gears for you whilst watching in the bay this will often help illustrate whats actually going on and being transmitted to the selector mech.

Good Luck :oD

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Just had a thought when refitting my new box.... When bolting down the second selector cable in the engine bay, you have a certain amount of adjustment from side to side when loose and when done up does not move. When fine tuning my selector yesterday too much one way made first nothcy and the other way made fifth notchy. I think just a general check over will help things massively.

Circlip on the gear stick linkage sometimes breaks/drops off, check this first. After this I would make sure the gear stick and gearbox linkages are adjusted correctly and well lubed.

Thanks for that mate, i did pop the gator surround off, though could not see anything obvious. Like you say a good check and a bit of jizz here and there should help things!

It is a bit like, 1st is too sloppy, and 5th is too close, how do you 'fine tune' the selector.

if the circlip is missing on the gear selector,first is difficult to engage even if vertical shifter is adjusted.sometimes it will jump off the selector rod leaving you stuck in gear

If fifth is difficult then its the vertical selector needs slight adjustment.

Or both

It might just be "side to side" that is a bit slopy, in the engine bay you will see the gear selector cables coming in and attaching to the box, they are on bolts and you will see you can adjust them, get a mate to move the gearstick side to side and see which cable is it, then unbolt it a bit and move it slightly, takes a bit of doing but that might be the problem, and an easy fix!

Give me a shout if you need a hand :)