OllieVR6

Oil changing a lowered car, some advice please.

I need to change the oil in my C, but as it's lowered I can't get my oil pan under the sump when it's on the floor.

Is it ok to just jack up the front and drain it? I'm asking because I know you are supposed to drain the oil with the car level and I only have the tools to lift the front or the back, not both at the same time.

Any other options perhaps?

The oil drain plug is on the rear of the sump anyway so if anything it'll help get all the old oil out being angled back slightly! But you probably want it level for when you fill it. So jack it up, drain it, refit the bolt & washer and lower it back down again before refilling. Then keep an eye underneath to make sure it's not leaking :)

If you go to the dealers they usually throw a sump washer in with the filter, but yes you should really but reusing it once or twice it shouldnt leak

They should be able to sort a sump bolt washer out for you! It probably fits lots of other applications so should be on the shelf, Try them, Id rather go there than halfords to have some 15 year old wondering what it was for half an hour then saying no! But you never know..

The oil drain plug is on the rear of the sump anyway so if anything it'll help get all the old oil out being angled back slightly! But you probably want it level for when you fill it. So jack it up, drain it, refit the bolt & washer and lower it back down again before refilling.

Yep, that's what I've always done :D

I wish the VR6's oil change was as easy as a BMW. Filter on the top, 2 mins to change, no mess. Sump plug faces the wheel, no climbing underneath or jacking required. 5 mins.

But BMW dealers still charge you £100 an hour for a 7 minute oil change :lol:

Well thanks for all the info! What I learnt: Go buy a BMW.

A BMW with no dipstick, so you have no choice but to pay the dealer £100 for 7 minutes work because you can't check the oil level without a computer? No thanks :p

i've always drained my engine when up on stands, there's just no clearance even on a standard car by the time you put a 6" tall pan underneath!

As Jim said, put it ujp for draining, replace sump nut with a new washer too, then lower it down for the filling.

No holes required :D

My BM has a dipstick....and a level sensor....and a condition sensor..... it doesn't need to go anywhere near a dealer for oil maintenance :D

You cant check the oil without a computer - thats madness!!!!!! WHy the need to computerise things that dont need it. Whats wrong with a Dipstick?