robrado974

92 vr non starter

hi guys , been having some trouble starting me vr for a few days. idle was a bit sketchy as well. me and langers changed the plugs , cleaned the leads and dizzy. she was running fine . went to start her today and its just turning over ,and refuses to start . break down came out and werent much use. he said it was electrical?. the fuel pump seems to be primeing. was going to clean isv tommorow as well . any advice welcome . regards rob .

Put in a new ignition switch :grin:

If you take off the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel, then while it's turning over, waggle the loom that goes into the back of the switch and it may fire up.

many thanks will try tommorow , also i spose if i put the vagcom on the car it should throw some light on the problem ?.

right as far as i can see there is no spark. did do a search . dizzy seems fine . what next ? regards rob

Not sure about ignition switch in this case. Normally the car won't turn over if the switch is duff - simply nothing happens when you turn the key.

Can you smell fuel whilst you're turning it over? Makes me wonder if there is a fuel supply issue..

Switches can fail like this - look at the switch, if it's not the new black plastic part then change it...

Also try jiggling the key as your turning it over and see if it will start

If the ISV is causing it.....

If starting without throtlle just on the key fails but applying 1/2 throttle while starting it and it runs above 2,000 rpm but dies with no throttle will suggest its the ISV.

As Steve, jiggle the key for ignition switch before changing.

thanks for replies. the ignition switch is black. have tried wiggling the wires . icv has been cleaned .still non starter though. the middle lead on the dizzy goes to a metal box, ignition amp? could that be faulty?. regards rob

Edited by robrado974

Is there fuel and a spark? If so it SHOULD start, if one or other is not it wont. If you can check for both (pull a plug & see if it is wet with fuel, if so, it confirms fuel and also confirms no ignition). In that case try the ecu relay 109 (ie replace this). Test the relay first by putting 12v acorss it, it should close. Just look at the wiring diag on the bottom of the relay it'll tell you where to put the power.

Re the fuel - check the feed hose to see there is fuel at the rail (top one) Good luck and keep us posted!

anyway of testing the coil pack ?. could be the problem. they are 130.00 sobs , alot of dough for something that might not work .thanks rob

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Is there fuel and a spark? If so it SHOULD start, if one or other is not it wont. If you can check for both (pull a plug & see if it is wet with fuel, if so, it confirms fuel and also confirms no ignition). In that case try the ecu relay 109 (ie replace this). Test the relay first by putting 12v acorss it, it should close. Just look at the wiring diag on the bottom of the relay it'll tell you where to put the power.

Re the fuel - check the feed hose to see there is fuel at the rail (top one) Good luck and keep us posted!

thanks mate will check what you have said , regards rob

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

also can anyone tell me if the coil pack has two parts to it ? many thanks ,rob

re the coilpack, i would test it via the spark at the plug end by seeing if indeed you are getting a spark on each lead. It means removing each lead in turn when the engine is running and with some heavyish gloves, holding it near to the head to see if you get a spark jumping across. Do it for each lead. Also check for cracks. Even easier, if someone is nearby, swop yours with theirs and see if there's any difference.

thanks for replies they have been very helpfull . i still need to check for sparking on all the plugs. however it seems to be a fuel problem . i was parked on a hill!, but i put in a tenners worth [ that i might have burnt more than i thought] lol. then a jerry can of fuel as she would not fire . so i put in another and she started.but i did roll the car onto the flat after the first lot went in and she still would not run . so she starts but sometimes a bit spluttery. never had a thing go wrong with her in four years. so just need to sort the sketchy start . regards rob