Peebee

Removing White ignition switch from the back of the ignition barrel?

Can't seem to see any screws holding it in place but can't remove it, any helpers?

Cheers,

Paul.

keep looking, there is a tiny screw in place. once undone it comes off very easily. I ended up lying upside down on my back where the floor mat is to see it.

Are you replacing the switch? If so, by far the easiest way is to grab the switch with pliers/waterpump pliers and 'persuade' said pliers with a hammer. The screw is a bitch to get to whilst the switch is in position. It might take a few attempts to get hold of the switch and tap it out but you can get to the screw easily then. Don't worry if you destroy the switch in the process, some people fit the new switch back in with a cable tie round the whole assembly rather than the screw. I have both, somehow the screw is easier to get into the new switches.

If you use a little mirror and torch behind the white plastic switch you'll eventually see where the little screw is.

As it happens I need to replace the ignition switch on our 1993 Corrado, and I can see exactly where the screw is -- but it appears that it'd be almost impossible to get a screwdriver to it unless the right-hand ignition barrel housing is separated first, which would mean removing the two bolts with sheared heads. Yuk! Not entirely keen on the idea of using force to remove anything either.

It's a similar situation on a MK2 Golf, where the upper bearing housing has to be removed completely before you can get at the screw properly. But at least it's quite easy to remove the housing on a MK2.

Yep.. took me about two hours to get that damn screw out. Good luck!

I ended up just using a hammer and a screwdriver and carefully breaking the old switch then using a cable tie. Just make sure the cable tie is tighten enough or you may find starting the car one day is ratehr difficult.

Cheers all, I think I know the screw you all talk about but god it's in an awkward place!

Wish me luck!