mjcp

Roof "rubbers" - still available?

hi,

Are the roof rubbers (the ones that crack and break at the slightest hint of anything) still available new?

If so, is this a pain in the bum or a saturday afternoon job ?

Thanks!

Marc

I believe they are but just make sure your sat down when you hear the price... VR6Pete told me how much they were as he's just bought a set and if I was drinking my coffee at the time I'd have spat it out!

They are pretty easy to remove and refit though, bought a 5-10 minute job.

my ears are burning :) was good seeing you yesterday mate, and chatting :) hope you managed to get home ok!

It cost me 2 kidneys, and a leg... seriously though, I could have gone away for a weekend with the price i paid...

possibly a bit of ebay premium added on top of a common issue with corrados of this age :)

here's the link! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROOF-MOULDINGS-RUBBER-STRIPS-VW-CORRADO-VR6-16V-G60-/390319461334?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae0da53d6

Yea nice meeting you too mate, my mate got an absolute roasting off his missus, said he would be back for 8ish, got back at 10.30ish... then tried the wheels on haha!!!

I've just pulled the cracked seal off and looks miles better without than with it all cracked and broken, gives me time to get a mortgage to pay for the replacements!

Yea nice meeting you too mate, my mate got an absolute roasting off his missus, said he would be back for 8ish, got back at 10.30ish... then tried the wheels on haha!!!

I've just pulled the cracked seal off and looks miles better without than with it all cracked and broken, gives me time to get a mortgage to pay for the replacements!

blame me for that mate :) I can talk for britain lol. bet she was impressed :) she must know the score with dubs by now though :D

Thanks for the links and info! There seems to be a few on some German styling sites too @ 65E per side, but once you add shipping its 160E all in, not far off the £145 on fleaBay. I'll check with my friendly $tealer too... otherwise it looks like a little saving up is in order!

I have just paid £58.01 each from the local branch of TPS. The dealer's price was £64.45 a side.

I suspect it will not be long before these are obsolete. I wonder whether an alternative is to replace the perished rubber edging by gluing in/ pushing in a very small diameter rubber/skinned foam tube or a solid neoprene cord. They do a massive selection on this site (http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk) and have a neoprene cord available from £1.28 a metre for 3mm diameter.

It's strange that dealer prices seem to vary. It was cheaper for me to get mine from the dealer (my price included two end caps which are not part of the roof strips themselves). There were only a few left and the dealer thought they were unlikely to get anymore once they had all been sold (but that was a guess on his part).

When I ordered them I was shocked at the price. But when they arrived I could see why. They aren't just simple plastic strips. They are actually quite complex with several different parts fixed together.

Yes I think the idea above may work when they become obsolete. The rubber strip along the edge becomes brittle and breaks up. But it might be possible to separate it and glue a new rubber strip on the side. But it would have to be similar in structure and 'feel' as it forms the watertight seal on the roof to stop it seeping into the gulley where it could collect and form rust.

Clips were included with mine under the part numbers above on my invoice. Buy the roof strips while you can as they are likely to become the hens teeth of tomorrow!

But it would have to be similar in structure and 'feel' as it forms the watertight seal on the roof to stop it seeping into the gulley where it could collect and form rust.

I didn't think this was water proof. Is it? I was under the impression that the sole purpose of the roof rail is to hide the seam where the car sides are welded.

But it might be possible to separate it and glue a new rubber strip on the side

I read on here of someone who bought some very thin rubber strips which he glued on his roof strips. It looked pretty good, so I ordered some.

:epicfail: The strips have to be glued on top of the original, perishing edge and mine had been cut off. I also had to explain to my partner why I had received some rubber straps from an S&M equipment supplier :thumbleft:

The strips themselves don't make it waterproof. Yes they are just to hide the seams. But The rubber forms a tight seal over the lip (a little lie the windscreen rubbers). You can peel it back but I guess (and it's just a guess) that it's to weatherproof the gulley so water doesn't collect in there.

it's to weatherproof the gulley so water doesn't collect in there.

OK. Understood. Without the edge strips a good coat of cavity/underbody wax should prevent any issues, hopefully.

those corrado roof mouldings still for sale?

---------- Post added at 8:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:46 PM ----------

someone can buy my second hand ones... good condition..!!!

those corrado roof mouldings still for sale?

Mine is off for some bodywork and a re-spray too. Hence, the expensive rubber!

I got a set from them too expensive but will be worth it my C's just off for a repaint

thanks folks. have ordered. just wish i'd got them before i had the respray. now i have to get the old ones off myself!