swiftkid

288mm upgrade (mk3 & mk4) very quick question!

Just a quick question, should be a quick and painless answer. I've already got 288mm brakes from a mk3 golf but my new wheels need spacing slightly so they don't hit the caliper, I'm under the impression that mk4 288's are the same as 312's in that they need washes to sit right on the discs. Is this right? as this would resolve the need for spacers which I hate with a passion.

Thanks

I believe this is right that the MK4 ones need the 6mm spacer like the 312s but would you also need to change discs, would 312 not be an option if you need carriers, discs and spacers?

Yes, I would also need to change the discs and yes I would like to upgrade to 312's but I doubt they will fit behind 16's.

288 and 312 use exactly the same calipers. Just different carriers and discs diameters.

288 setup - No carrier spacing required

312 setup - 6mm carrier spacers required as you say

So the mk3 and mk4 discs are exactly the same? I'm a little confused now, what makes the 312 need spacing? is it the carrier is thinner or the disc is offset?

This to me says that if a mk4 golf owner wanted to upgrade from 288 to 312 they would also need washers to space?

If they are 288s, then yep MK3 and MK4 carriers are the same.

312 discs are a different offset as you say, so require the 6mm spacers centralise the caliper over the disc.