8vMatt

Rear Beam bushes- best place for new?

Hi guys,

I'm going to drop the rear beam where it attaches to the U shape bracket fixed to the underside of the car. I need to change over one of the U brackets due to the fixing point for the brake regulator being broken off. So I thought while its off, why not change the rear beam bushes at the same time. Is this a worthwhile exercise? Will I see much improvement from now?

If it is a good job to change, where sells them for sensible money? TPS quoted £37+vat for each one. Fingers crossed I can beat that.

Cheers everyone.

Changed mine recently but not been out in it yet, bought them from AVS Spares. I know there are quite a few people who have had them from AVS and are happy with them. They certainly do look as good as the VAG items. About £11 each + post.

HTH

i felt more comfortable getting vw items when i rebuilt my rear beam, around the £50 iirc. beware they're not the easiest things to press in, you'll either need to get inventive with some plates, metal tube and threaded bar or get a friendly vw garage to do it for you.

I put powerflex ones in mine. About £60 for the whole beam and took 5 mins to install after getting the old ones out

Changed mine recently but not been out in it yet, bought them from AVS Spares. I know there are quite a few people who have had them from AVS and are happy with them. They certainly do look as good as the VAG items. About £11 each + post.

HTH

Cheers Dave,

Are these the right ones then? I like the idea of these rather than the Powerflex sort of thing. Cheers for the tips Aide, have to get brutal on it then!

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=605

those febi ones certainly look like the real deal, maybe i've been over zealous in my OEM drive! there's a wiki guide on here you know for changing them. i am also a bit suspicious of the loose rear powerflex jobby's, but plenty of people use them - pretty sure they don't cater for the passive rear steering though.

I put powerflex ones in mine. About £60 for the whole beam and took 5 mins to install after getting the old ones out

But they don't work..

The rear beam bush is designed to flex to provide passive rear wheel steering, that's why they are the shape they are and why it's vital they and the rear beam are fitted correctly (you need to load the rear beam laterally).

The powerflex item does not flex so does not provide that function.

As for which is which, the Febi items are pretty good but in my peronal experience they are not quite as long lasting. Given the amount of hassle in changing a set of rear beam bushes I would pay the extra for the VAG item.

Agreed, to be cost effective in keeping a Corrado on the road it sometimes pays to consider using 2nd hand or non genuine parts but in truth in many cases new VAG parts is the only way, I think the rear bushes is a case of sticking with genuine

i've now done over 80k miles on VAG ones and they are just starting to show signs of cracking, no way Febi ones would have lasted as well!

It would take me about 30-40 years to do 80k miles in my Corrado!!!

Apart from the lastability of the Febi items, what is the quality like?

It would take me about 30-40 years to do 80k miles in my Corrado!!!

Apart from the lastability of the Febi items, what is the quality like?

Quality is fine, at least the Febi stuff fits properly.

I will say that mileage is less relevant as rubber will harden with age - ooh er!

The Febi ones might do 3-5 years without starting to degrade whereas the genuine VAG items will do closer to 100k or 15 years.

It's the same with the rest of the rubber suspension bits, fits genuine where possible and do the whole lot at once. That way you 'reset' the suspension system and ensure all components will wear evenly - you will then get 10+ years of trouble free motoring with the occasion trip to the wheel alignment folks.

But they don't work..

Well as I've not compared them against brand new genuine items on the same car I can't comment as to whether there is a difference or not. However, the car handles like it's on rails so they can't be that bad.

Each to their own

I have an unused set of Febi ones of anyone's interested. Still in the box £15 delivered.

Bugger bugger bugger! I've just ordered the Febi ones.

Edit: I've just tried to cancel the order. I'll check with them on monday. If I don't get charged off them, I'll have these if you can post out on monday please.

Bugger bugger bugger! I've just ordered the Febi ones.

Edit: I've just tried to cancel the order. I'll check with them on monday. If I don't get charged off them, I'll have these if you can post out on monday please.

Sorry for the late reply, PM sent