joebloggsVR69

Evil Sky to show F1 from next year....

Woke up to this shocking news, BBC and Sky are to share the F1 coverage from next year.

BBC will only show half the races live...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7066399/BBC-And-Sky-Sports-To-Cover-F1

:(

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Oh, I've read that uk users will be able to watch all the races live on the BBC website

Oh, I've read that uk users will be able to watch all the races live on the BBC website

Where did you see that mate?

Oh for fck sake! Why are they doing this, money is the only reason i can think of. Its been working fine on the BBC and always has, why go to sky. This means im going to have to subscribe to the sky sports to see the races!!! grrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm not sure whether it's the BBC cutting back (which is what I think it is) or greedy Bernie getting more money off Sky... or a combination of the two!

Yeah just heard through commentary on FP1 that the BBC were cutting back. I dont understand, because unless they're making a loss on covering the F1, some how, they must be raking it in!

I have Sky and have pretty much all the packages excep Sport. But I'm not going to add it just for the f1. I love F1 but can only occasionally watch it. So it will be the end of F1 for me :(

I already have the sports package because of boxing and football but it still annoys me!!

I've heard SKY offered an unbelievable package to get the rights!

Does this mean we lose the 3 best presenters for formula 1? I think Eddie, David and Jake are brilliant! (Queue to huge disagreement!) :)

Well i love F1 and will prob add it to my sky sports package, depending on the price. Maybe they'll do some sort of deal package - i dont want all the channels i dont watch that much football so dont want 4 channels or whatever of it.

I suppose one good thing is no adverts... apparently

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_7066182,00.html

I think they seriously messed up with this, the great thing about F1 has been it's accessibility to all. I have Sky HD so will still be able to watch, but not many of my friends have it, and to me, post-race discussions are one of the best parts.

I love the build up shows with Jake, David and Eddie. I hope they keep them.

Poopy, was mega annoyed about this, it seems of all qualy will be live on the BBC but we only get 50% of the races live and rest in a highlights package.

I don't know if the commentary team will be the same between the 2 broadcasters - I hope so as the current set-up is the best it has been since Murray left the box.

I guess I will see more free weekends as I am not contributing to Skys £1 billion operating profit from 10.4 million customers so it will have to be highlights from next year for half the coverage :(

Better than not having coverage at all on normal TV I guess, at least this way is set-up to run until 2018 it was all looking ropey from the end of next year.

I think Eddie, David and Jake are brilliant! (Queue to huge disagreement!) :)

How can you not mention Brundles pit walks! best bit of the warm up IMO..

I think they seriously messed up with this, the great thing about F1 has been it's accessibility to all. I have Sky HD so will still be able to watch, but not many of my friends have it, and to me, post-race discussions are one of the best parts.

yeah totally agree with this, im totally gutted, me and the wife love F1 then i get to work on monday and then chat about it post race think the bbc do a awesome job with coverage, i doubt we will subscribe to sky;(

ttfn

langers

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Remember we were definetely racing in Bahrain a couple of weeks ago and look what happened there. The current concorde agreement states it must be free to air. I'm hoping the teams sort this out but I've got a feeling a big wodge of sky money wafted about will be enough to sort them out, I hope I'm wrong. What a disgrace, I'm not paying for Sky, they can kiss my trumpet.

How can you not mention Brundles pit walks! best bit of the warm up IMO..

Brundles pit walks and saturdays qualifying are the highlights for me.

Well thank god ESPN didnt get the rights, F1 with NASCAR commentary from Dirk 'crashtactic' Kerwanski & Larry Bushwacker, courtesy of McDonalds, Pepsi etc etc etc.

(though the above may be slightly stereotypical?!)

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Remember we were definetely racing in Bahrain a couple of weeks ago and look what happened there. The current concorde agreement states it must be free to air. I'm hoping the teams sort this out but I've got a feeling a big wodge of sky money wafted about will be enough to sort them out, I hope I'm wrong. What a disgrace, I'm not paying for Sky, they can kiss my trumpet.

Half of races will be shown live on the BBC which will also show highlights of all races.

Sky will show all races live.

Half of races will be shown live on the BBC which will also show highlights of all races.

Sky will show all races live.

so will Jake, EJ, DC, and brundle still be covering it?? or have they been brought by SKY :(just spoken to the wifey and she says you buy the basic sky package then you buy the sky sport on top, for fook shakes its a joke normal TV is **** apart from Top gear, etc, why mess with something that is near perfect its unfair for the true F1 FANS, my and the wifey got tickets to silverstone this year it was amazing, but most people around us were corporate tickets!!! :(

I thought we had the full coverage on BBC 1 till 2018 - so how come the change.

I am really not impressed - I do not have Sky and do not want Sky, there are enough TV channels already as far as I am concerned without being encouraged to sit in and watch even more Sh..t !

I will not be paying to watch F1, so guess i will have more weekends to do other things. Corrado driving weekends perhaps.

Such a shame as F1 had improved drastically over the last two years and i loved watching Qually in full the Race in full etc.

I am presuming you would not get to watch F1 with the basic Sky package anyway and would need to purchase Sky sports ?

I would rather lose 'Clarksons I Love me Show' (otherwise known as Top Gear)

If you want sky sports its £37 at the absolute cheapest if i recall correctly.

Although i recall the in laws saying something about a set top box with sky sports.

Sky lost a court case regarding sole rights yadda yadda etc and now others get to air sky sports.

Maybe one of these??

Says seperate subscription required with that box Ben.

I know that lol, i'm just saying this is the cheapest legal way of doing it, I should image it costing £20 a month as apposed to £40.

Im guessing the Beeb have received some sort of 'reimbursement package' (paid off) to allow this to happen as their deal should have seen coverage through to 2018. Im sure allowing Sky to come in wouldnt have been in the original contract?

I've got Sky Sports, but gotta say, I'm disappointed that the BBC won't be showing all the races.

I think the massively high viewing figures lately are just as much to do with the presenters/BBC team as it is to do with the excitement of F1 in the last few years.

It remains to be seen who Sky will have on their F1 team, but I just don't think it's gonna be the same. Jake, DC and Eddie make a great presenting team, and Martin Brundle is one of the best commentators in sport.

I thought the BBC deal experied in 2013 not 2018?

Humn, flicking through the freeview last night there is sky sports 1 and 2 show as available channels but you need the decoder module plugged in to view it, although it seems it would still be at least £30 not including set-up fees per month - I enjoy F1 but not that much.