Sideways Steve

Valver feels a little "flat"

Hello folks, forgive me if I seem silly but its been quite a few years since I last messed about with a KR engine.

After setting the ignition timing and idle speed correctly on my valver it does seem to run well however it does feel a bit flat low down in the revs and I dont remeber my Golf feeling like that.

I have also done a full service so it has fresh plugs etc. Mine still runs the 42mm inlet manifold at the moment but I do have the 50mm one sitting there which I will be fitting once I get new brass inserts for the injectors. I just wondered in the meantime if anyone could think of any reason why it would feel sluggish in the low rev range ?

I am reluctant to fit the 50mm manifold until I am certain its all running sweet as it is but I am wondering if its just needing the mixture adjusted and if that is indeed the case should I wait to have it done after fitting the new manifold too ?

P.S it pulls hard after about 4-4.5k right upto the red line but before this seems a bit pants.

The KR in the Corrado has more weight to pull. My old MK2 valvers were the same. A couple were flat as farts below 4000 but ballistic there after. Interestingly enough, the valvers that had some torque down low were flat past 4000 :lol:

How many miles on this lump in the Corrado?

I guess you could check the cam timing is correct and not a tooth advanced or retarded and also do a compression test.....

Does it have an aftermarket exhaust and/or manifold/downpipe? that can affect bottom end, they are heavy cars for the 1.8 engine though.

One other thing is the injectors, they can deliver plenty of fuel at high revs but a poor spray pattern on old ones at lower revs can affect performance.

Yes and no, its got a G60 system fitted but still retains the original KR front pipe/silencer so I dont think its that. I guess injectors could be an issue though as it did sit for ages and had old fuel run through it. I may try giving the injectors a clean and see if it makes any difference.