edd

ABS bleed nipples

Got a intermittent heat related ABS fault at the moment on a "good offer at the time" VR i picked up recently, the problem being ABS light will only come on and then stay off if the engine is very warm. when car is cold ABS light is on permamnently.

Anyway running through the motions, currently at changing blake fluid using an eezibleed. Most nipples on the calipers all round were initially blocked if im honest but but with nipple completely off and an added bit of pedal pressure all have freed bar the nipple on the ABS unit located furthest from the bulkhead (1 of two on the unit). It appears to either be a flow or return back to the brake fluid resevoir.

i suppose the questions are:

a) should fluid come out - given its a bleed valve im guessing yes......

b) how do i unblock it - tried prodding with a paperclip, but paperclip appears to go in further than the bleed nipple would be when fully tightened up so im thinking a blockage elsewhere in the system (could this indicate a stuck, valve/) however no fluid will come out even if engine is warm and the ABS light working correctly)

c) if i can't get any fluid out this bleed nipple is this likely to be a problem or is it normal, I don't have VAG COM and therefore don't want to remove abs pump if unnecessary. (Car is also of the road currently not insured or MOT'd so cannot drive to garage)

d) why in the hell is my ABS ony working when car warm.........

Hurry before i start breaking it

Edd.

Edited by edd

Can't answer all.....

a) Yes on level ground, it will gravity feed out of the valve block bleed nipples normally.

b) ??

c) I would think there is, given what happens normally in a) - yes. Unless you are needing VCDS to look to see if you have ABS faults, VCDS is no use. Ignore the Bentley with diagnostics bleeding and pump driving while bleeding. The UK RHD Corrado Teves IV brake system should be bleed like a normal system via the bleed nipples at each wheel caliper.

d) Perhaps its not the brakes ABS valve block but the ABS ECU that is playing up. You really need a diagnostics VCDS look over to get a baseline to work from.

Edited by RW1

I have the reverse of this problem ! When cold and warming up the ABS light functions normally, after about 20 minutes it comes on and stays on, when the engine has warmed up. It will often go off again after sitting with the ignition off for a few minutes, even when warm. Go figure! There seems to be no logic to ABS faults and troubleshooting which is why a lot of people just buy a new pump - something I don't want to do unless absolutely certain that it will fix this issue.