Sign in to follow this  
edd

where does the water go??!!

hey people

I know this is a topic there are a number of threads on but none quite answer my question. Im losing coolant on my 1.8 16v i have recently replaced the oil cooler and all major pipes in that area. (expensive rubber!!). Not losing a great amount but enough to annoy me. Now if i take it out and get it really warmed up there are no visible signs whatsoever of water loss, steam etc but if i realease the expansion cap to top up after the car has cooled there is no release of pressure . I have recently nicked an expansion cap off the guy next door who was scrapping his passat because being a tit i left mine off and lost it!! No mayo to be seen. Now the question is the cap most likely to be the cause, will i definatley see the steam realeasing from the cap when the car is hot or could this go unnoticed. If not what am i gonna do!! Im gettin sad cos he seems to be off road almost 1 day in 7. Only100K, but i think maybe a hard 100k nosiy top end and clacky tappets :(

When i say only 100k i mean got to six figures yesterday, dont want to seem like im asking too much its just i have a T25 VW VAN and hes done 220k and never broken down

I have the same problem with my vr6. I too would like this answered. Think replacing the cap is the solution though.

timo

buy a new cap... they're not expensive and will answer your question once and for all! ;)

when they leak pressure, you won't see any steam unless you get the engine REALLY hot as they only loose a little bit of pressure (steam) all the time you run your engine so you won't get clouds of it coming out.... :|

Halfords sell caps, about £3.50. They're just as good as the dealer ones but don't have the numpty "this is hot" diagrams on them. Compare the inner seal of a new one to a used one and you'll see where all the pressure goes!!

You have to be careful when diagnosing the cap.....if it's spitting coolant out as it expands in a traffic jam....that could be the cap's seal on it's way out, but it could also be the cap doing it's job of venting EXCESS pressure.....

My old VR6 had the problem of the water just going. Sometimes when I took off the cap there would be air bubbling back into the header tank, like back pressure of air...probably do to all the water going :-D. It turned out to be the head gasket. A common fault I am told on early C VR6s, first the top hose goes, then the head gasket, then the heater matrix...usually in that order. Lets hope yours is the cap!

A common fault I am told on early C VR6s, first the top hose goes, then the head gasket, then the heater matrix...usually in that order. Lets hope yours is the cap!

oh christ!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm not a religious man but i'm praying now. I'm sure tis the old cap. Does look a bit goosed I must admit. Might go and get a new one, like now!

bye

timo