Kempy

Rear coilover gone through mount.. aGAIN!!

On the way home the rear coilover come through the top into the speaker, this has happened before and happened again :twisted:

Might it be I got the wrong bits for it as its never made me completely confident the way its been fitted. There's just a collar that goes over the thread and a kinda spacer and with the being not very absorbent it just goes through the big washer sometimes. Got some pics coming.

R

nothing more than a little damage to the parcel shelf support.

Anyone know what needs fixing?

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

think its the seat and the piston has gone through it

Had this happen to me but on standard suspension, the spring plate was rusty as, eventually gave way :-/

What suspension you running?

Pics would help mate. There's no much to the top of coilovers. Metal cone, supplier with coilover, with the rubber bushes ontop. There's a metal cylinder going through the centre of the bush i believe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48668[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48669[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48670[/ATTACH]

theres not much is there, I'd say the spring plate rusted through, they expensive?

Coilovers come with their own cone shaped top plate on top of the spring, surely yours should have them. I know the KWs ive got fitted has them and even the cheapo V-maxx i used to have had them.

See - http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225481

Though to be honest i dont know if they all have them, but if asked i would have said they did.

standard top plates are £10

What circlip?. I think you're missing a nut or 2 also. I think the metal cone is held on to the top of the coilover by a nut. Then you ahve the cylindrical piece, then another nut. The rubber top mount slides over the top of that, with the metal top hat piece inside the top of the rubber mount. Another nut, then metal washer and finally the last nut.

Did you buy the car with that suspension fitted or did you get it fitted? DOnt think the top plates that come with coilovers rust, i know the KWs dont so i would say yours never had it.

Edited by Critical_Mass

I bought the suspension fitted it myself, this happened before then got a garage to sort it but they probably just put it back to how I had, I got the other bits I think apart from the circlip, it might have gone through the metal spring cone cap. I think I need another one if that possible without buying a new set of suspension, which im considering tbh

I had this problem, a small washer that sits on a recess on the top of the damper had failed. See if you can get hold of an exploded diagram of the strut to see assembly order and if anythings missing.