Stonejag

Hello all!

I've always wanted a Corrado, and now I have one :D Looked at a fair few on eBay - made a bit awkward because my other half only has an auto licence and I ended up preferring them...

Ended up going for a 1996 VR6 auto in Blackberry and factory heated leather - first one I've seen in that colour! Obligatory pic:

corrado-debadged.jpg

I started off with a fairly long list of niggles:

- Spoiler only went up on one side

- temperature gauge broken

- driver's side door handle totally missing

- Sunroof slides open but then takes ten attempts to get it shut

- cheap, kerbed alloys, run with flat tyres so long they split the sidewalls

- very low, rock hard suspension with dodgy camber setup

- truly awful shiny wooden steering wheel

- ABS light ripped out to turn it off

- cracked windscreen

- fan only worked on speed 4, taking it apart to replace the fuse I found the previous owner had smashed up the ducting so it was held in with cable ties...

...along with various spots of rust and the odd paint bubble. Obviously it needed rescuing so I bought it anyway :bonk: The gorgeous VR6 noise plus cone filter induction kit and decat pipe might have had something to do with it!

Hopefully it won't need too much TLC to get sorted but it's so much fun to drive it makes up for all the bad points...fingers crossed I can get most of the bits through here though!

So yeah, hello :cool: Expect all sorts of nooby questions - for a start, can I get rid of the eyebrow spoiler? I'm going to have a dig through the pics thread to find some alloys I like too!

Stone

Welcome, congratulations :)

for a start, can I get rid of the eyebrow spoiler?

Please do!

Please do!

Good stuff, I've seen them on so many VR6s I was worried the bonnet wouldn't fit without it or something :D Once the garage give it back it's gone. Already looks a lot better without the colour-coded grille it came with - got some nice pressed ally plates too, the plastic ones were delaminating badly! Also, were there two types of spoiler mech? My replacement one had the manual twist handle on it but it only twists under power, you can't use it to crank it up and down by hand like my broken one. It was marked West Germany though so I guess it was pretty early...

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

Removed the eyebrow but the front end looks wrong now...

corrado-noeyebrow.jpg

Looks like the bonnet wants to sit further forward to cover up the headlights properly, it's gone dark now but is there some adjustment on its mounting bolts? The driver's side is spot on but the passenger side is set back by about 20mm, which makes the plastic top of the headlights stick out...

Edited by Stonejag

Welcome, I was messaging him on ebay when he wanted 3k for the car. Obviously the car wasn't as good as he said it was! I think you paid what I told him it was worth!

Yeah, he had it in the showroom at £4500! :scratch: It did have a fair few bits that weren't mentioned on the eBay auction though, so I don't think it worked out too badly all in.

+ straight, and decent paint - few bits have been resprayed but overall good standard of work and with decent colour match

+ decat exhaust + original cat thrown in

+ Crystal rear clusters (now returned to stock)

+ Alpine head unit, external sub+amp in boot

+ big pile of random spares

From my garage trip today, you can add to the niggles in the first post:

- exhaust blowing (previously fixed with Peugeot parts?!)

- leaky oil cooler

- camber and tracking way out

- Duff ABS sensor + light ripped out

- front tyres split from running them underinflated

- sub and amp always on -> flat battery

- one dodgy wheel bearing

- cabin heater thermostat broken

- air intake sensor broken

- horn disconnected

I reckon it'll have cost me about £3k total by the time it's all sorted as I'd like it so I'm not too unhappy so far. I didn't buy it to be practical, if I had I would have kept the Lupo!

Welcome! I went for one that needed bits and pieces sorting out too. Gives me something to do, and il know when it's sorted it really will be properly sorted.

Odd really, as I would always advise someone to spend extra and get a good one to start with!?