stevef182

Anyone in Surrey fancy earning a few pennies this weekend?

Bought myself some KW V1 coilovers, and want to fit them this weekend.

Would quite like to do it myself, as I have done most of the work on the car on my own, however it's my first time fitting suspension so not overly keen on doing it completely alone.

If anyone in the area wants to lend a hand (and knows what they're doing) let me know. Would be hugely appreciated and i'm happy to pay whatever the going rate is!

Ah man! I used to live in Surrey! But I've moved now!! YOu know fitting suspension is like 3 bolts don't you? Its really simple..

2 on the bottom where it meets the hub, and one on the top to hold the top mount.. thats it...

Jacko, very kind but im busy every weekend for the next 6 weeks apart from this weekend..

t700bes and andycowuk - I had heard it was pretty simple, just really dont want to balls it up. Maybe i'll just give it a go if nobody else is about.

I recently fitted the same coil overs mate

you should really fit new top mounts while your doing this. Febi stuff is quite cheep but VW OEM stuff is obviously the best.

The top bolt at the front needs a Allan key and a socket (or ring spanner) to loosen. A bit of a pain but otherwise straight forward...

The rear is quite simple so long as you remember not to jack the car up using the rear beam. The rearbeam needs to drop down to almost 45 degrees in order for you to remove the struts.

This guide is quite useful http://forum.performancevwmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=40697

pop to a local garage and get them to air-gun the front top mount bolts loose (the ones under the bonnet), save you a lot of time and grief if you don't have the special slotted socket tool to do it with. Otherwise it's an easy job although the rear parcel shelf supports need to come out and the camber will need re-setting on the front afterwards.

I had already planned to fit new top mounts, GSF any good or only worth using OEM?

Thanks for the link Alex, and the advice David.

gsf ones are like cheese mate... if you want cheep go with febi items available from http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

but the best ones to get are OEM. The extra force from the stiffend suspension would benefit from good quality top mounts.

It may also be worth considering new wishbones and drop links if you want to do it properly... but that could be done on another day. If you do get new wishbones then go for R32 rear bushes as they track better

:)

Just called VW - rear mounts are now obsolete..fronts, including bearings are £48.50 for the pair. A LOT more expensive than the Febi items. Is it worth it? Will it make that much difference?

Just called VW - rear mounts are now obsolete..fronts, including bearings are £48.50 for the pair. A LOT more expensive than the Febi items. Is it worth it? Will it make that much difference?

they just wont last quite as long... but the Febi ones are the ones I'm using mate and they seem to track well and fit nice :)

Im going to go for those then, I make it £19.62 all in, including VAT (GSF were £33 all in!!)

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Ordered, thanks Alex.

So any other offers to help?

I'm not sure I can help as I have some stuff planned but I can lend you some spring compressors and a couple of the bespoke tools that you need if you want?

I did mine a couple of months ago, on my drive, having never attempted anything like it before. It took a while but was pretty easy! Happy to give you a run down of how/what I did if you are interested?

Ollie, that would be great. Thank you. I think my biggest worry to be honest would be not having the right tools!

I will PM you my mobile number.

im replacing my shocks and springs on saturday morning at home, ive got all the tools needed hopefully. your more than welcome to come down to mine and give me a hand with mine and we can do yours after. Shouldnt take too long at all with 2 of us

Let me know

its not a bad job, only problem you may encounter is seized nuts/bolts, use penetrateing fluid on them a day before to help you out, for the top mount nut your gona want a ring offset spanner {sorry i forget the size think its 24mm?}then you can get your allen key on the strut to stop it spinning,also note the order of the front strut bearing..heres a pic of when i did mine.

backendwithshock.jpgrearshocknbrakein.jpg

Thanks for that. Will get some fluid on them tomorrow night.

Ollievr6, cheers for offering to loan all the tools, but I'm going to Jackos on saturday now so wont need to borrow them. Appreciate the offer though mate, thanks.

AVS are a great company. If you can't find stuff on their website then they can usually source it for as well... They can even get OEM stuff from VAG if your desperate! :)