Danny B

VR Coil Pack

Hi all,

Pretty simple one really but just want to make sure......started the car this morning and got a miss fire. Opened the bonnet and heard a clicking noise from the coil pack - Spark was jumping from one plug.

So question is - is it possible it is anything other than a cracked coil pack ?

To me it obviously is, but want to make sure I dont need to check other stuff before I buy one and swap it over.

Thanks

Danny

Had this a few weeks back. The RAC came out and he said that it was the leads that werent sealing against the coilpack and causing the spark to arch. Though im not convinced, I would have said coilpack.

He ended up spraying some sort of white grease (possibly silicone based spray) in the end of the leads then reattached to the coil pack. Its been fine ever since, but i suspect the coilpack could need replacing at some point in the future.

An alternative is to wipe on some Vaseline. A light smear to insulate and keep the damp at bay so leakage paths can't develop.

Thats all the RAC stuff is doing.

Ok I will give the vasaline a go then......thanks.

But to conclude, if I can actually see the spark jumping from the lead across the pack can I assume the coil pack has a crack ?

Yes. Replace or go the epoxy repair method.

As well as smearing the top surface, put Vaseline inside the plug lead connections also.

Yes. Replace or go the epoxy repair method.

As well as smearing the top surface, put Vaseline inside the plug lead connections also.

cool thanks mate.

Two part Epoxy resin brushed all over the top of the coil pack will sort it out.

A crack in the insulating resin means the insulation resistance drops and you start getting the sparks. So many people replace coil packs when there is absolutely no need.

Jay

Ok I finally got round to removing the coil pack and I found this .........

I wasnt expecting the cracks to be quite so large ? Is the pack really retrievable in this state ?

That's well and truly fecked. Replace it. Brushing resin onto a cracked coilpack is like a crack in a dam. The water always does find another way out.

I think I've got a few coilpacks kicking about if you don't want to be robbed by VW.