dalhalvaig

Wish I was in the market for a VR6 now...

Seems to be loads of sub £2000 VR6s on the market...wish I was looking now - OK, to know I obviously am looking, but I mean planning to buy.

And then at the other end quite a few at £5k+

What's happening to the market.

See PH below

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?g=1&s=177&filter=&o=&pc=&min=&max=&txt=&px=&p=1&pagesize=15&xsl=list&y1=&y2=&d=0&dist=&nodays=0

Either way I'm happy with what I've got, just looks like a good time to get in

D

Know what you mean. Just brought a VR6 and very happy with it however i was originally in the market for a Storm. But prices for a decent Storm are still a bit crazy IMO so i left it. Seems some people are happy to have their car advertised for 6+ months to get the price they want!

Not saying Storms arent worth that money, just not prepared to pay that much myself and if you check the completed listing on Ebay the ratio to Corrados sold to Corrados not sold is quite scary!

In the few months I've had my VR6 I'd say prices have fallen another £500. The problem is that they are expensive to maintain and getting parts is harder now. So it means that most people wouldn't get one even if they happened to remember them.

But I like the rarity :)

My VR is going on the market once I sort the cracked coil pack :( ....... gutted but its been sitting doing nothing for 6 months and I cant justify the costs just to keep it sitting still !!

DannyB - Its taken a back seat to the S4 which is understandable V6 noise is good but V8 is awesome

Yeah your right mate ..... but its taken me 6 months to conclude I should part with it.

A £2000 VR6 is tempting. But be grateful for what you've got. I can't even imagine the heartache involved in buying a VR at that value :silent:

Had my sub 2k VR6 for a year now and has run faultlessly no heartache whatsoever........must admit though mine is one of the ones on Pistonheads at the mo but just got too many cars hence the sale.

I think that is part of the thing with these cars. We are very fortunate in having something which has such great performance for so small outlay to purchase, unfortunately the maintenance costs are high. The running (fuel and tyres) costs compared to a Scooby and possibly better. I say just get out and use them, and don't get too hung up about preserving them. Each to his or her own, some will want to turn their cars into better than factory concourse (is that the right spelling - doesn't look right?) shrines, some modern day interpretations and some rats and on and on. I got mine in January and have done 4.5k so will probably hit about 9k in a year. By memory, I think the three previous MOTs show it did less than 3k in the 3 years to Jan 2011. That's probably why one of the actuators in the ABS was jammed and cost me £900 in total to be refurbished. Take out servicing, MOTs, Tax, consumables (pads, tyres, exhausts, batteries) and mine has cost about £4.2k, but hopefully the big spend is out of the way. But if I were to sell it today or in 3 or 5 years time, I'd probably get about the same for it, unlike if I'd spent £4.2K on a standard Euro box that in 5 years would be 10+ years old and worth whobuysanycarfornexttonothing.com so in 5 years time I'll probably be up a grand or two and will have had a load of fun along the way.

When I was writing this it made me think - what Golf could I get for £5k. just spotted a Gold 4motion for £1895 and started to have some very bad thoughts

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410322707/sort/locasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/engine-size-cars/2-6l_to_2-9l/model/golf/make/volkswagen/page/2/postcode/g613lg/radius/1501?logcode=p

Just imagine, all the bits you need for a 4WD conversion for less than 2 grand, plus what you could make selling the bits on. Actually if you converted your C VR6 into a C 4motion, could you tturn the Golf 4motion donor into a Golf VR6?

Must be late I'm rambling and fantasizing

You feeling ok? To quote Face Off "no more drugs for that man".

Perhaps you could do it, but probably easier with a Rallye 4WD system or by doing down the Awesome GTi route of twin engines and twin front diffs to handle the power?

They are cheap for a reason now. Im still looking for a another car to tinker around with in the £1-1500 range and TBH most of the Corrado's VR's in that range knowing what I know are just going to be a lot of hassle. There are a few decent looking ones but there the other end of the country, Im not travelling that far for a car that cheap. Im even looking at Mk2's but they are even worse, there all rusting away!!

I know I probably say this all the tie but I wouldn't swap my car for much else. I'm now doing 60+miles a day in it and simply never tire of driving it. Although I got pumped by a Mk6 GTi last night on a twisty, I didn't stand a chance!

But yes, I often wish I could buy another one just cos they are cheap and I'd like another, esp in white. I'm probably quite lucky with my old soldier, although I spent a wad last year it was worth it for the amount of problem free miles I get :)

Just imagine, all the bits you need for a 4WD conversion for less than 2 grand

I very much doubt that! After just having completed a haldex conversion on a golf rallye, I can safely say that having a haldex system from a donar car is half the parts!

I've got a fair idea how to go about putting it into a Corrado, but it's a serious amount of work!

I know I probably say this all the tie but I wouldn't swap my car for much else. I'm now doing 60+miles a day in it and simply never tire of driving it. Although I got pumped by a Mk6 GTi last night on a twisty, I didn't stand a chance!

But yes, I often wish I could buy another one just cos they are cheap and I'd like another, esp in white. I'm probably quite lucky with my old soldier, although I spent a wad last year it was worth it for the amount of problem free miles I get :)

This is how I feel about mine. It genuinely makes me happy when driving it and there's nothing in the same price range I'd like instead. There are plenty of more capable cars on the road now but part of the experience for me is knowing it's an older rare car and there is very little else like it anymore. It's from a previous era and an era that was such a happy time in my life back then. I love returning to it in a car park after walking past all the same shape modern cars and then seeing the nose or the rear peering out. I didn't think I'd use it much but I'm already wondering if my limited mileage policy will be too low this year.

If I had the money I'd buy a G60 to go alongside the VR6. Sadly I don't.

Just been on here and PH. Maybe I shouldn't have said they are looking cheap, seem to be a lot of £5kish cars now

Prices seem cheaper to me now than when I was looking last year. But I have noticed quite a sharp divide starting... sub £2k cars and over £4k cars. I think we'll see the sub £2k fall away as they get broken and the over £4k cars might just possibly gain in value.

A few top end £5k+ cars have sold recently so I wonder if we are indeed just starting to see their values turn around? It's not something I bought mine for and I still feel that it's unlikely. But if they did then it would be the icing on the cake :)

The mid range cars (mine is one) could go either way depending on how they are looked after. One of the things I'm trying to do with mine is make sure I do the 'right' thing to at least maintain and hopefully improve its condition. I've no intention of selling right now but if I do sell in the future then I'd want it to go to someone who will keep it on the road and not break it. VW have sadly mostly abandoned the car and it's up to us to keep the hsitory alive. It is a real pity as I genuinely think it's up there with the absolute best of the early VW's, alongside the original mk1 GTI and the mk2 16v.

If I had the time and money I'd do a full restoration but sadly that's not an option so it's a matter of small improvements over time; getting the OEM steering wheel back on, fixing any little niggle like the mirrors, improving the interior, making sure it has pro-active servicing such as replacing various mounts, greasing everything, etc. A tidy up of the front end paint is on the cards at some point.

** EDIT ** Blooming heck I just looked on PH. Hadn't done that for a while and prices of the higher end stuff are higher than I expected. There's an interesting 1 owner Storm on there for a decent price though (mileage not mentioned). Lots of £4k+ stuff on there. Also the number of cars for sale is 52 compared to around 70 to 80 earlier in the year. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Edited by Portent