eugopnosaj

Rear Bumpstop

The top mounts on my front suspension have gone and while deciding to replace those I thought it best to sort out various rubbers on the rears seeing as they haven't been put on the car yet. I've currently got Koni TAs and after removing the spring from the rears and the bumpstop I have noticed that the standard one I ordered from VWspares is much bigger than the one on the Koni, which is understandable since they are lowered shocks/springs. The one on the Koni looks like it has been cut to fit rather than a suitable one for the shock. My question is what size should it be, the original one is about 145mm whereas the cut one was about 95mm. Should I cut the new (standard one) down to the same size or can someone help me? Ideally someone who has the same set up and has replaced theirs.

Cheers!

I cut 35mm off the top of mine (so the dust shield still screws on) - this is the distance it was lowered by from standard.

This is correct as the rears act as a spring assister so if you don't cut them you will always be bouncing on them and destroy them in no time.

yep, same as Steve, Jason, just cut a ring off my new ones and they then worked fine on my 30-40mm lower springs. Some of the dust cover shroud things are shorter too, the mk3 ones I bought from GSF are shorter than the original ones and more suited to the lower suspension.