eurospec

Constant clunking when driving....

Right I have a slight problem that is getting worse all the time. The car is clunking all the time with the rotation of the wheels. Doesn't matter if the clutch is depressed or not.

No change when going around corners etc, and its coming from the passenger side front. Car is a 1989 2.0 16v.

The noise gets faster with speed, I thought it could be the wheel bearing, but isn't this more of a whiny noise?

So I suspected the CV joint, but Im unsure on how to check these without removing the boots. The driveshaft has some lateral movement in it, I presumed this was necessary for the drivetrain to work correctly...

Any help would be appreciated, Im going to buy new front wheel bearings anyway as a matter of course as the car has done 150k and I have no record of them ever being changed.

Thanks!

you could try jacking that corner up setting the steering to full lock and turning the road wheel to see if you can get it to crunch... sounds like cv joint from your description...

i had this, almost went out and bought a cv joint without looking at the car first, just assumed it had to be that.

when i got wheel off i found a massive piece of branch stuck in the wishbone lol

Had something similar, turned out to be some kind of driveshaft weight that had broken loose. Could have been on the drivers side though...sorry not much help! :) Worth a look though

Could be a midget locked in the boot...
Unlikely, they start off squeeling and end up groaning, could be one wedged in the subframe and bouncing his nut on the offside driveshaft I guess???

Had a good look under the car last night and have still come to no conclusion....

Wheel has no play in it and spins freely, suggesting it's not the bearing. Doesn't seem to make the noise when jacked up ans spinning the wheel by hand.

It's the same with the wheel at full lock in both directions as well, Im still thinking it's the CV joint, but is there anyway to check without taking it off the car?

have you lowered your car?if so its probably the CV joints might be worn and the free play is only showing when driving normal straight.That usually indicates inboard joints. only proper way to check is take them off.

Wheel bearings drone and rumble as they wear,if they knock then something is very wrong with them.

Yes, the car is quite low. Ill take them off tomorrow and take a look, the bearings feel fine, hub spins fine with no side to side play and no dodgy noises.

Replaced both front inner CV joints, they were such a mess inside. Definately original ones from the factory, and the car has done 150k!

One of them had rust inside the boot and on the gearbox flange, the joints were nackered, the grease was just like a thick grinding paste! Also, the passenger side driveshaft seems to have corroded quite alot? Has a massive part where the old CV boot was on and it was just layers of rusty metal, driveshaft now has a big taper in the middle of it!

Noise is still there though, Only thing I can think of is outer CV's, maybe wheel bearings or maybe the gearbox? Sounds as if its coming from the middle of the engine bay when you're in the car driving, just a little to the left...

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Just changed the gearbox oil and there were quite a few pieces of metal in there :(

Looked like they belonged to something inside the gearbox, looked like a carbide/toughened steel sorta material, from something circular....I hope my gearbox isn't shagged!