dalhalvaig

Speedo Problem - VR6

Last couple of times when driving the C have noticed that the speedo can suddenly take a mind of its own and start varying the displayed speed by up to 40/50mph. So far I've seen no problem when driving at up to 50 and I think 60 is pretty consistent, but driving at 70 the needle sometimes will show 70, but other times swing about from 70 to usually about 85, but once up to 120.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Usually the gearbox sender. Part Number 191 919 149 D for a VR6. Sit on the top of the gearbox just belwo the ABS unit. Plug is 3 wires.

Well it can only be one of a couple of things

The sender in the gearbox works by rotating and effectively pulsing a switch. This could be faulty, but I would not expect the speed to get higher only lower as the signal drops out.

Therefore the most likely culprit is the clocks themselves. Are there any other strange symptoms on the clocks as it could be a voltage regulator issue, or simply the stepper motor in the dials.

Mine did this and it was the sender on the gearbox

Mark

Thanks Mark - you mean your speedo showed a speed that was too high?

Cheers

If so, heading to the VW dealers for the part...

Hi

As the title says - Any going to Doune on the 18th got a spare Gearbox speedo sensor?

Speedo playing up giving weird high (always high) readings. Anyone got a spare speed sensor I could borrow to check out if that's the problem?

Cheers

D

Sorry, didn't see your question till now - when mine was playing up I would get very erratic readings. The needle would bounce then fly round to some silly speed then drop out completely; the poor spoiler looked like it was doing the okey-cokey! Lol

I didn't keep my old one for obvious reasons but they're only £20 or so from vw so may be worth chucking a new one in if no other reason than you'll be able to cross it off the list if things don't improve...

Mark

Thanks for everyone's help. New sensor ordered yesterday morning. Collected from well known Scottish dealer in Jordanhill for this morning. £26 lighter. Fitted this afternoon. Running perfect. Never been so happy to see the spoiler stay down.

Cheers

AAARRRRGGGHHH

Speedo has started to play up again

OK it did this a couple of months ago, and I took the sensor off the gearbox again and refitted it. At the time I thought that it seemed to unscrew quite easily - almost loose. As I said I refitted it and everything was OK. Then...

Just a few days ago as I was slowing down for a roundabout, going down through the gears, blipping throttle to match the vehicle speed, I spotted out of the corner of my eye that the speedo was reading high. It was fine on exit of the roundabout. I've noticed this a couple of time since the then tonight that when idling the speedo started to show about 10-15mph and would rise with engine speed. A couple of times on the journey it showed high, then by the end of the journey it was quite erratic, although most of the time operating normally. I noticed that a couple of times when I was approaching a junction and disengaged the clutch the speed would rise.

Any clues?

It's wet today which could be something

Car is a '96 VR6

I plan to take the sensor off again and refit it to see if that solves it.

Cheers

Did the remove and refit - this is the Corrado equivalent of the IT guy telling yo to switch it off and switch it on again. Worked fine immediately. Next next day it didn't work at all. Disconnected the wiring and reconnected. Started working again OK.

Beginning to think the problem may lie in the wiring. Drove it the other day and the speedo was dead. Stopped. Disconnected wiring - gave it a wiggle - plugged it in again. Working fine. I think thee may be a short somewhere in the sensor wiring.

Think I've sussed it. Took the connector of the sensor again. This time in daylight and not while trying to get somewhere. Undid the tape round the wires as they go into the connector and realised that none of the other connectors had this tape. Continued expecting some sort of repair would be revealed. Sure enough. 3 bullet connectors jammed into the back of the 'Bosch' connectors, not clamped to the terminals, no silicon grommets present to seal the wires - hence the electricians tape. This must be why giving the connector a wiggle was sorting things temporarily. Need to get seals and terminals and remake the connection.

Who is a good supplier for these terminals and seals?