24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

Awesome work so far Jay, didn't realise you'd picked up another rado.

Looking to join the fold soon so may tap you up for some advice. The 4motion is still going well, now in the hands of my brother inlaw

Ash

Cheers Ash, glad to hear the 4mo is still going well.

Long way to go on the Corrado and it will be a steady approach, but hopefully I will end up with the diamond :)

Will be interesting to see your take an a corrado.

Jay

Its certainly heading in the right direction to becoming that diamond.

I must be getting old because my ideas are purely stock but as new, similar lines to the way yours is heading i reckon.

I think these will become popular with collectors before too long so original ones will be sought after.

How are you finding getting parts? are most bits still available or heading the same way as mk2's now with soo much being obsolete?

Also had a scary insurance quote on a vr, how did you find insurance prices?

Ash

Yeah reversible mods is the way to go on these. OEM+ all the way. Parts are definitely not as easy to get as last time round. When I have been going to the stealers I was actually shocked to hear them say "we can't get that any more, sorry.". I have just switched my insurance over and it was only £50 extra until July, but god knows what it will be then...

Jay

I've heard a lot of this 'keep it standard' talk lately, seems to be a hot topic....

I'm interested to know peoples outlook on it, is it because you prefer the look of the Corrado standard? Or is it all about the price the car could fetch by keeping it standard?

Personally, I love the look of the Corrado as it was made... it's a thing of beauty! But... I love customising parts to make it my own. (People could argue this as a lot of the mods have been repeated countless times!) There are certain mods that for me, improve the style of the car and give it a personal touch. I've never been interested in looking at the money it could get me years down the line if I keep it standard... I might drive it into a tree tomorrow! I want to enjoy it for what it is, customise it to look how I want it to and drive it everyday!

And considering you're the guy who inspired me into buying a Corrado with the mods you applied to your old C... I'm surprised you're taking this approach now!

Thanks for the kind words :).

Don't get me wrong, I am not interested in total originality and never using any exact part that wasn't originally fitted from factory.

I think when I built my previous C I wanted a more modern car and turned my C into that fitting everything from the MK4 and TT that i could. If I am honest I don't think I could build another to the standard of the previous one as time and money simply don't allow it any more with family, house etc..

So rather than try and do a modern bit here and a modern bit there I am accepting and enjoying the car as a fantastic car in "standard" form.

I think those of us that have been around the block for so long on these things realise that VW actually do a pretty good job and only some minor mods are necessary to adapt the car to your personal preference.

I am not fussed about value and am entirely doing the car for me. As mentioned somewhere in this thread my focus this time with the car is chassis dynamics and handling after my visit to the Porsche centre at Silverstone.

Sorry for waffling :)

Jay

Thats fair enough, makes sense. I'm interested in your focus on chassis dynamics and handling... I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. So please make it understandable for morons!!

Here's where it all began for me!!

I will try not to get too techy, put simply I want to retain the handling that makes the Corrado so well renowned but improve on the looks at the same time... :)

That wasn't a bad car was it ;)

It makes me very proud to think in building it I got people into corrado ownership :)

Jay

Having done the massively modified route as well I prefer the near standard route as well now. A few wee tweeks here and there and accepting that they are an old coupe that are fun to drive is probably best.

Having done the massively modified route as well I prefer the near standard route as well now. A few wee tweeks here and there and accepting that they are an old coupe that are fun to drive is probably best.

Im thinking of doing this too, admittedly my corrado(s) have had more aesthetic work then mechanical but you get the idea.

The look of a VR on some speedies or BBS' with chunky tyres lowered a little is just classic imo.

Love the work going into this Jay.

Well the MK4 has been sold, so I have a few pennies to spend on getting the body sorted. Sills are going to get freshened up and fingers crossed a couple of other bits.

Got a nasty stone chip in the screen on the way home from work yesterday, so I am going to get the areas around the screen cleaned up and painted when it gets taken out.

Jay

With the birth of my second child last week I have been a little distracted from the corrado. However the corrado actually saved the day and got my wife to the hospital when she went into labour, as our BMW X5 decided it didn't want too play ball, so I feel it deserves some love and have finally found a Bodyshop I trust to get it looking respectable (cheers Andy).

I am going to get glass out and paint all down both sides and all round the screen to remove any marks and bits. I will probably get the bonnet blown over too thinking about it, just to remove the last 200k worth of stone chips :)

Fingers crossed if I get the BM sorted this week I will get the corrado booked in next week while I am still on paternity leave and have it all done by the end of the month.

Exhaust and suspension are still to be cleaned up and fitted, but they can follow the paint. Then its just wheels and some serious detailing inside and out :)

So here starts the serious progress I hope.

Jay

Cheers. Yeah the BM is amazing as a family car to be honest and I can't wait to get it back to its previous working order, but I knew I could rely on the Rado, even though it's done 3 times the mileage!!

Congrats on the baby and the Corrado driving. Never mind the bmw, but good as a workhorse ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

good to see you back Jay & congrats on the new baby :-)

Edited by Bally

Cheers Bally, long time no speak mate. Enjoying being back behind the wheel of a C and can't wait to get it looking smart.

Has been along time indeed!! looking forward to seeing yr OEM touch on another corrado mate

Today saw the start of my rejuvination of the Corrados bodywork.

Since picking up the car I have not washed it once and knew that when I did I would then want to "sort" the paint. So today was the momentus day.

I was actually pleasantly surprised, as although the paint is really badly swirled and has clearly not been well treated, the actual paint is still excellent and virtually all original.

I only managed to clay down one, side but it was already to starting to show its potential.

I am off round to Andys in the morning to get at it a bit with the polishers and see how it comes up... more pics tomorrow...

The start point...

DSC05563.jpg

Swirls much....

DSC05565.jpg

Initial Wash but nothing more yet....

bc9d1093.jpg