24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

The nuts have an anti rattle "barbed" surface on the back and I will probably add a dab of locktite on them anyway. You could of course use ny-lock nuts.

To be honest though, the factory ones are threaded into the motor anyway so they too could come loose technically :)

Jay

Right, heater is going on in the garage when I get home tonight and I am going to get started on the car. Got until the 27th to get it ready for the rollers at Stealth. It will be a long way off where I want it, but hopefully it will be reliable and running as it should.

Nope, wasn't me. I picked the car up two weeks before that and its not moved from my garage since :)

Jay

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

^^^ Ok it's a no. Yours is 'ABY' not 'ADY'. :D

Yeah I think the reg is trying to make me do a R32 conversion to the car.... M 3.2 BABY! ;)

Jay

Liking what your doing,

I'm thinking along the OEM+ for mine but theres a 20vT sat on the floor in front of it at the moment, Corrados look great when clean with just a set of wheels and a little lower

A bit more progress tonight.

Removed the front bumper and the front panel which I am replacing with a tidier one as this one has some dents and damage which I don't want.

Upon investigation of the basics I am pleased with almost everything, even the lower panels are not the worst I have seen.

Did notice a crack on the rad top pipe so that will be replaced, also I have spotted a repair to the crack pipe so that's another part to replace ASAP.

Some little pics...

de7471ea.jpg

4db4917e.jpg

c9602ac9.jpg

Jay

Dropped off a pile of bits to the powder coaters this morning including the fan cowling, the lower front panel and cross member bits which need doing before i start using the car as they will be a pain to replace when i do. Should have them back on Friday, so have this week to progress with replacing the urgent bits in the engine bay, putting the doors back together and generally tidying up a bit.

Got the first of my new bits to fit...

5c99aa71.jpg

Jay

Being as I am doing the group buy on the poly engine mounts I figured I should smarten up my mount parts ready for the new inserts, so a lick of paint was applied ready for the how to photos. It is satin so will look OEM when it's dry :)

80064bc9.jpg

Also after a bit of grinding, rust treating, etch priming and then base coat dark burgundy pearl I have a battery tray which should do until I ultimately no doubt do a full bay paint one day... Just a coat of lacquer to finish

0fa37e03.jpg

Will it be mobile for the rolling road day a week on Sunday? Hmmmm?

3cca8c76.jpg

Hi,

Just a sugestion: you could stick on a few cut bits of clear selfadhesive plastic like the one you can wrap around plastic, to protect the paint from the battery diging into it again. Also give the battery one or two vent tubes to prevent the rust again. I did, and no more problems in that area.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Got a day on the car today and was able to clean down the engine bay a bit more, nothing major, just trying to get rid of the worst of the grime.

Also managed to get the doors built up with everything apart from the interior trim, which will go in later in the week. Spent a lot of time making sure everything was right and clipped in properly and hopefully it will result in it all being rattle free once its all finished.

Got my bits back from the powdercoaters, but I have noticed I am missing the battery clamp which is annoying to say the least, so hopefully they will have it somewhere....

8f27427d.jpg

Will it be ready for the rolling road day on Sunday?..........hmmmm

01606ea1.jpg

Looking good mate

Where did you get the DBP paint mixed? Was it a good match?

I went to Halfords to try and get a touch up pen and they couldn't even find the paint with the paint code

Cheers fella. Paul had a drop left over in an aerosol when he dropped the slam panel round. It was just enough to do a temporary tidy up on the battery tray, but the bodywork will be done in a bodyshop.

Jay

I love what you did with the pre-fab garage. I am looking at my first house soon and one of the requirements is a garage built into/next to the house. I will then insulate and link up a radiator to the central heating and put in a dehumidifier for good measure.

The garage has made a big difference to working on the car in the evening. Half an hour of the electric heater in there and its 18 degrees. Its been bone dry too so far which is perfect for when I am using the car daily.

Jay

Cheers Chris. Not much to look at yet to be honest, won't even get washed before Sunday.

Still at least everyone will be able to see it "as it came" pretty much.

Instead of starting to put the engine bay back together, like I probably should be to get it back together for the weekend, I couldn't leave the block looking so grubby and rusty while I was in there.

a52577d2.jpg

So I stripped off the oil cooler, alternator bracket, filter housing, and all the other bits. Cleaned down the block and painted it in clean fresh black paint, just so it's all tidy and I can easily pin point any leaks when it's all back together.

c2059ef8.jpg

Now I obviously have to clean up and tidy the brackets, filter housing, oil cooler etc to match. :) LOL

Jay

Tiny bit of progress tonight. Was in two minds about replacing the water pump, but again thought while I was there it would be silly not too. So with some wriggling and pulling I removed the old one to find this...

83ae35c4.jpg

Lots of the blades damaged or completely missing. Not exactly efficient cooling!!

Compared to the new one it looks positively knackered!

a60e8c81.jpg

All installed along with a new crack pipe.

2a354804.jpg

The aluminium brackets and housings are too marked with oxidisation to bother cleaning them up, so I am going to have to paint them to a bare finish. So having cleaned them and removed all the crud any suggestions for the best OEM look silver paint?

d4dc5140.jpg

Jay

Edited by 24V Renshaw

Yeah id say silver paint would be best. How did you find removing the old crack pipe, took me ages when i did it and my arm for the following day or so ached really bad?

The crack pipe literally fell to pieces in my hands, it broke up and I had to then clean all the pieces out of the hole in the block to leave a nice clean seal for the new one.

Jay

I found eastwoods aluma blast from Frost restoration to be the closest match. Used an airbrush to get in the nooks.