24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

You are right, but trouble is mate other people said otherwise so I just went for it on a punt :). Width etc is the same so you could easily fit the regulator etc from a non VR one but I want the easy life :)

I am putting in brand new genuine rear bushes along with new MK4 calipers, braided hoses, bearings discs and pads.

Jay

So todays progress started with a stroke of genius for how to sand the edges of the RCs down prior to them going to the powder coaters this week. Jacked up one side of the car and bolted a wheel on. Gently put it in first gear and let the wheel spin while I block sanded the edge.

be38d3c3.jpg

Worked a treat and the rims are pretty clean round the edges now.

96228c04.jpg

Next up was the exhaust. Got my miltek to go on and was going to get someone to fit it for me, but being fussy I knew I would be better doing it myself. So today i set about removing the old one which looks all wrong.

7cdb687c.jpg

Had to cut the rear section in two as it went over the rear beam, but it came off easy enough.

fff3c614.jpg

The clamps and bolts had seen better days aswell!

82dd67dc.jpg

Also found the CAT was rattling so I have one Andy leant me for the lambda probe, so that's now staying and being fitted tomorrow too. Cheers mate.

More progress tomorrow.....

Cheers Jim.

Managed to get the Miltek exhaust fitted today along with the replacement CAT.

Cleaned the exhaust up a bit first.

bc3f9e2d.jpg

Started by mounting the CAT with new stainless bolts and then trimmed the first pipe to allow the middle box to sit just right.

Then positioned the rear box and everything lined up absolutely perfectly. Really impressed with how well it fits and all lines up.

Sits just right in the bumper. Excuse the filthy car LOL

97cf171e.jpg

Sounds absolutely lovely. Yet to drive it but it's tight and solid and no where near anything to start knocking.

Lots more to do this week, but I will keep the updates coming...

Jay

Drove the car to work this morning and the exhaust is perfect. Sounds completely standard on idle and on the motorway etc.. but put your foot down and you get a nice rich sound which works well with the induction sound of the VR.

Very pleased :)

Jay

Are you sure that's a Miltek Jay? My tip looks different and while it is indeed near silent on idle, it booms away when cruising around lol. Did you get my pm btw?

Cheers

Yep its 100% a miltek mate. Its etched on the tip and has the little tag plates on each of the two boxes.

Oh and yes I got your PM just have not had chance to reply properly yet :)

Jay

Oh cool I couldnt see it on the iPhone screen lol.

I guess it's down to the vr's induction note being way louder then the exhaust in comparison to a 24v which is the complete opposite really.

Do you ever plan to do something like that to this one then? Even on a smaller scale in terms of the mk4 bits.

I tell you what, one thing I wish I had that I believe you put in your old 24v is the fuel pump priming when the door opens like the mk4, I have to sit there and pump my accelerator lol.

I've a Milltek and I find it the same as Jay, sounds stock at tick over and a nice sound at full chat but no more boomy than stock.

Exactly. It's about as perfect an exhaust as I could have hoped for.

Update: dropped the wheels and all the bits at the powder coaters this morning and have sourced some MK4 rear calipers too.

Jay

The rebuild parts collection is growing now. All genuine new OEM parts ready for when all the bits come back from the powder coaters...

Rear beam bushes

Rear discs

Rear pads

MK4 rear calipers (will be stripped and rebuilt)

Rear Brake shields

Rear bearings

Rear bias valve

Front wishbone bushes

R32 front wishbone (rear) bushes

Front Lower ball joints

Braided hoses

Front top mounts and bearings

Rear top mounts

And One of Dave16vs short shifters :)

I am sure there is more but that is all I can think of now...

Heres a pic of some of it, just for the pic whores

I am going to be busy :)

275b2b18.jpg

bloody hell Jay, you dont mess about do you, this will be a new car when your done. Get pics up of the powder coated parts as soon as.

Might have a nice steering wheel coming available soon ;-)

Managed to get some time on the bits for the ream beam which are not at the powder coaters this weekend.

Including the rear MK4 calipers, which I managed to strip down, clean up and paint black ready to fit. Calipers in high temp gloss and the levers in satin black.

Got some nice braided banjo hoses coming for them next week, but they look respectable now...

Before....

5d8108c5.jpg

After....

c5976dca.jpg

Updates should come thick and fast this week....

Jay

Edited by 24V Renshaw

LOL yep. Don't worry I would never go anywhere other than between the house and the garage in them :)

I didn't even buy them.

Croc fail! ;)

However this is coming on great Jay (no surprise) nice work as always! :)

Managed to clear the garage and get the car in this evening, ready for the onslaught over the next couple of days.

As I had a few minutes spare when I had got it in, I Fitted one of Daves short shift kits and am very pleased with the reduced throw and much more solid feel.

Still not got all the bits back from the powder coaters yet, so I am getting slightly frustrated but fingers crossed I will have it all tomorrow and can get on with things....

Jay

Also stripped the rust and yellow paint from the Koni struts and painted them black so they look OEM once fitted...

cf442762.jpg

Oh and this is the mileage it rolled over to this week...

01f0a3e4.jpg

Jay

So I bought some M6 exhaust mount bobbins, which are a perfect replacement for the riveted bobbins.

5309901a.jpg

They screw straight in the existing M6 holes in the motor and will bolt through the door where the rivets previously were.

Hi Jay,

Replacing my window motor soon, wanna follow your lead with your exhaust bobbin method...

Are these what I need? Seems the answers in the title but just wanna be sure before i spend the pennies!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-BOBBIN-UNIVERSAL-FITTING-M6-METRIC-THREAD-5-/200637056903?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb6e68787#ht_995wt_1163

Cheers mate

They look a bit "fatter" than the ones I got. Would probably still be ok but might clash with bits of the motor as I have a recollection of them being close as it was.

Jay