tony_ack

Clean licence, 5 years no claims, insurance - as if!!

Really struggling to get a renewal on the VR6 this year.

I'm 29, approaching 30, I have 5 years no claims, no points and will do 8000 miles a year. I have had one non-fault accident a year and a half ago, the third party accepted full liability and I did not lose my no claims.

The car has BBS RC alloys, a Schrick manifold and lowered on Konis

My renewal is over £1000, up from £600 for this year

My renewal is so far my cheapest quote.

Comparison sites won't give an quotes.

Performance Direct wanted £1300

I tried Greenlight online, and they quoted £3200, and declined to insure me.

What the hell have I done wrong?!?

Ring them, there not that strict

I'm with them (Footman James) and they were fine with driveway parking, paying £340 or there abouts

Edited by Southie

Adrian Flux was by far the cheapest for me at £280 without protecting my 10 NCB and said I would lose 7 years ish if I had a claim. I pointed out that the 10 years is actually 24 years but most insurance cap it at 10. Made no difference. I rang them back to enquire what it would be with no NCB £310 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not garaged so I took it. Ok mine is a 2.0.16V but they are worth a try. But £30 off for 24 years clean driving WTF.

We had this discussion on the MX5 forum and it seems insuring your insurance ie protecting NCB is becoming a bit of a joke. One guy was asked to stump up £200 just to protect them. Flux said my policy would be over £500 if I protected them so there maybe something in this. Its bloody madness all the same. But take heart. I just tried to insure my 18yr old daughter who has just passed her test on Monday. A 1.1LX Peugeot 206 2002 no mods.............................Over £4000:bonk:

Good luck

Andy

Okay I'll need to give them both a call - can't use the Peter James online form due to the modifications.

I've checked my postcode and it's in a high-ish risk area, so that may be another factor (still doesn't explain the increase...)

Insurance is getting to be a fricking joke! About time there was some serious investigation into what is going on.. I wouldn't mind but it's not like the Corrado is a valuable car any more and I'm sure it'd cost more to repair the average family hatchback in a low speed shunt than it would to write off a Corrado!

Peter James do, I believe, cover some modifications so certainly worth giving them a call. Let us know how you get on - getting hard to find an insurer you can trust these days! :(

Right, I think I may have found one reason for the high quote - I listed my car as having the factory fitted immobiliser, but I did not list the car as having a Thatcham approved alarm as I didn't have the installation certificate (it's got a Cat 1 alarm installed). Is this likely to make a significant difference?

I originally had my immobiliser listed as a factory one.

When i checked the paperwork it was a clifford after market unit fitted... phoned the insurance with all detalis and more than halved my insurance

Time to get a new certificate then! The irony is that the factory immobiliser is far more effective than a cat 1!

I'm 28 and getting quotes circa 650 pounds with 2 years no claim bonus but with Footman James paying only 190 pounds.

Footman James - won't insure me under a classic policy due to age mileage, and they won't cover me on a modern policy

Greenlight - don't cover my postcode

Peter James - won't cover me due to mileage/age of car (max 3000 per year on 16 year old car)

Adrian Flux - quoted £1300 but via online quote so far.

Admiral - not got the renewal through yet, but got a new business quote of £980. Made no difference when I specified a Cat 1 alarm.

Performance Direct - £1300 through online quote, but will ring to see if I can get better.

Not tried Chris Knott, Brentcare or HIC yet. For Chris Knott, I have read they won't insure me on a VR6 until I'm 30, and my 30th birthday isn't until 3 weeks after I need the insurance to start.

Running out of places to go and out of ideas.

Have you tried Avivia directly online? Get a quote online, if it's not a million miles away, phone them up, they ususally can bring it down some more.

I've helped arrange insurance for a few people this year and Aviva comes up trumps.

My VR6 with 6points and some past history, with LPG 7years NCB - £750. Transfering to my new '99 S4 for £90 more. That can't be a bad deal!

Don't understand why you are having so much trouble finding insurance!

With Adrian Flux - I'm 24, with 5 years NCB... at the time, I had 3 points. Fully comp, all mods stated and protected, car left on the drive over night.

£700.

Good luck mate!

Have you tried Avivia directly online? Get a quote online, if it's not a million miles away, phone them up, they ususally can bring it down some more.

I've helped arrange insurance for a few people this year and Aviva comes up trumps.

My VR6 with 6points and some past history, with LPG 7years NCB - £750. Transfering to my new '99 S4 for £90 more. That can't be a bad deal!

£1734, and that doesn't even include the engine or suspension changes.

Can't imagine that's the case with Chris Knott.. I took out my policy for the VR with them last year when I was 29...?

I've checked my postcode and it's in a high-ish risk area, so that may be another factor (still doesn't explain the increase...)

I'm afraid it does explain the increase. When I used to work at a well known insurance company that sounds rather like, 'Boil Some Defiance', other than DR10 (Drunk driving), Post codes were up there with the highest premium loading codes. It could be that your area has seen an increase in car crime recently (they know more about that than we do unfortunately) and they stick the premiums up accordingly.

And 30 yrs old? Jesus insurance companies like to change the frickin goal posts at will, don't they? First 25 was the biggest age milestone and now they're adding 30 in as well? The *******s.

I would recommend trying Brentacre when you get round to it. If they can insure my 400hp Rado with more modified parts than standard ones for ~ £800 com protected, I'm sure they'll do you a good deal on a standard-ish VR.

And remember, now that government have got involved with the injury claim scandal, ins companies will look to get their losses back: from us. The *******s.

I don't think we'll ever seen sensible ins premiums again peeps, or sensible prices on anything whilst we're living on these shores....

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I don't necessarily blame the insurance companies for the high prices honestly. I blame the British public in general for quite gleefully accepting compensation payouts for "whiplash" injuries and having weeks of premium hire cars. Seriously - do they think the insurance companies are a charity? Where do they think the money to pay for that has come from?

It's the usual problem of peoples greed and short sightedness that is coming back to bite us all. I just resent that we're ALL picking up the bill...

Apologies to Chris Knott - the 30 year old limit on big engines was a condition on the initial offer on the GolfGti forum a couple of years ago - I think it's been updated since then.

Brentacre next...

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Well, a shift in the right direction...

Brentacre quoted £880.99, all mods declared, and with any further modifications up to 210 bhp (which is what the car is putting out now)

The guy on the phone didn't think the alarm would make any difference, so it wasn't worth getting a replacement installation certificate.

I'm really glad I started looking a month before my insurance expires as it gives me time to prepare myself for the shafting.

I was going to mention that the alarm thing is probably a red herring.. I think provided you have a CAT2 immobiliser then you're probably covered. Speaking from my experience, when I had a Citroen Saxo VTR.. it had an "in key" immobiliser chip but got broken into. I got the damage repaired and got a Clifford alarm fitted at considerable expense and then gleefully rang up the insurance company to declare the alarm and claim the discount on my premium. They were only too happy to tell me that, as the car already had the minimum level of required security, I'd get no additional discount.

They just love to f@ck you over at any opportunity.

So essentially an alarm is only for your peace of mind / deterrant purposes - it won't make bugger all difference to the premium. A tracker is probably a different story though..

I don't necessarily blame the insurance companies for the high prices honestly. I blame the British public in general for quite gleefully accepting compensation payouts for "whiplash" injuries and having weeks of premium hire cars. Seriously - do they think the insurance companies are a charity? Where do they think the money to pay for that has come from?

It's the usual problem of peoples greed and short sightedness that is coming back to bite us all. I just resent that we're ALL picking up the bill...

Agreed. If you dangle a carrot in front of a Donkey, he'll eat it :D It was more about the insurance companies gleefully selling policyholder information to the blood sucking injury lawyers that caused all this though!

tony_ack: Have you tried adding a couple of named drivers? And a partner, if you have one.

I was playing around with one of those comparison websites the other day, and adding my 2 sisters (They are 40 &41 years old, clean licenses) to the policy reduced it by about 20%... even though they'd never drive the bloody car.

Adding a spouse knocked another 10% off

Wow, I'm dreading my next policy renewal, granted not till next year now but after reading this I'm already bricking it lol,

I have been driving for 2 years now and my first year was around £840 with Quickfit fully comp mods declared kept on the drive.

This year I'm with Performance Direct, mods declared fully comp £190. I guess you cant really rely on what someone else pays

for their car to get a ball-park-figure for your own.