Jim

Stupid question.. butchering a Schrick VGI..?

Following on from one thread about Schrick VGI's and subsequently a link back to an older thread which put the various manifolds alongside each other..

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?13899-Visible-Differences-between-OE-SCHRICK-VW-VSR-manifolds

I was just looking at the picture of the Schrick and thinking about how basically it looks the same as the VSR aside from the large load of extra metal across the middle. A picture of the underside seems to suggest that there isn't actually anything contained in this - it's just extra casting. Does anyone know if that's the case?

So my question is... couldn't this lot simply be machined out / smoothed to give you a manifold which eliminates one of the only drawbacks of the Schrick?

And would cutting all that out mean you can change the spark plugs with the VGI in situ? Cause with that lot out of the way, it looks pretty much the same as the VSR...?

Always wanted a VMW VSR but simply refuse to pay that much money.. they're ridiculously overpriced these days. Besides, this was just a hypothetical question.. I was just curious to know. I'm not actively looking for a Schrick or anything at the minute..

Edited by Jim

Unfortunately not mate. You might be able to get at a couple of the rear plugs but it will still need to come off to change the fronts! The VSR has gaps between the runners to allow plug access at the front.

Well I totally agree about the pricing of VSRs. Sure it's rare, but this whole overpricing of obsolete Corrado parts is setting a precedent which is unfair to genuine enthusiasts who don't have deep pockets, such as that ridiculous £80 front VR6 badge, I mean, come on....

100% agree. My project is slowly becoming a tumbleweed due to scarcity of parts and then inflated prices on the parts you CAN find! :/

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

@Jim, if you're planning to cut one up can I have a look too? :D

Law of supply and demand. As long as there are idiots out there that will pay the prices, these things are going to cost. If they drop in price then they will go for what people are happy to pay. Look at Mk2 Golfs, G60 wings and pop out windows, the price of that stuff is insane, but people will still buy that stuff and so the prices continue to rise.