coullstar

Trackday with standard wheels and brakes - VR

Thinking about doing a track day with the new car and running the standard wheels (205/50/15) tyres and 280mm brakes.

Any trackday Ive done before has been with bigger wheels and better brakes so who has taken an essentially standard VR on the track and what issues did you have? Oil temp Im assuming is an issue as well. I should have my baffled sump fitted before going.

Im mainly worried about the brakes to be honest as I can see them going off quite quickly. At present I have Brembo max discs and pads fitted.

I've been to 2 of the Autometrix trackdays with CCGB at Castle Combe. Went out twice each day. I have standard brakes and they were fine. Didn't have any problems with temps either. Each session was only about 30 mins though so don't suppose this is much help!

Hope you have a great day - I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to go out again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with Knockhill is there are two heavy braking points one after another. I struggled last year with the 6 pots on the turbo but then I suppose I wont be going near as quick as that was.

Edited by coullstar

ill be suprised if you dont cook them... I used to get massive fade on spirited runs & had more or less no brakes after a eack lap I did round the ring.

Only a novice here. I did 130 miles at Brands Hatch in February, about 105 laps. It was open pitlane and I went out 15-20minutes at a time.

Standard car with standard wheels and 288mm front brakes. Fronts with part-worn Runway and rears with part-worn Toyo T1S. Damp condition in the morning and dry in the afternoon. Temp about 15 degree (?).

At the time the discs and pads had done just over 5,250miles. I didn’t experience much fade although towards the end of the day the front right started to grumble and smoked quite a bit. The tyres were shot though at the end of the day. Oil temp never got higher than 128 degree.

I’m going to Bedford at the end of this month and the car is still wearing the same discs/pads (though with new brake fluid).

I was temped to go to Cadwell rather than Bedford but I didn’t want to take any chances as the car has old discs/pads and also the fronts have P6000s. Didn’t want to put too much faith in October DRY weather! Bedford should be fine with huge run-off area and fairy flat.

Standard car must seem very slow for you then! Have fun!

For track days you defo need bigger brakes as standards are good just for few laps of heavy braking. Especially on fast straights and down hills.

Other problem is the oil temperature. Oil cooler will help a lot but do not fit that in front of radiator as water temperature is slowly creeping up and oil temp will be same like before cooler. And be sure your tyres are in good condition (not old rubber) or use sticky ones like r888 or simillar. There some vids on my channel http://www.youtube.com/user/alfounx?feature=mhee

Edited by RedTyphoon

It very definitely depends on the circuit. I took a completely standard VR on an airfield circuit with long fast sweeping bends and had no issues. You just have to not be stupid. If there's heavy braking zones then be smart and only do one or two fast laps at a time before coming back in to let things cool down.

Ive done plenty of trackdays just not with a standard car so I wasnt wanting to go out and be back in after 5-6 laps with no brakes. Oil temp of no higher than 128deg!!!! Just shows the beenfit of an oil cooler as my turbo didnt even reach 110deg on the track and it was right in front of the intercooler and rad.

Tyres are all Vredsteins with lods of tread, anybody muck about with tyre pressures to stop undue wear?

It Knockhill so quite tight and twisty but as I said there is two heavy braking points right after each other. Oh well they have increased the run off at the first corner so should be that bad.....

Wy906, if it were me Id do Cadwell, its the best track in the UK. On a bike anyway.

Cadwell is next on my list, along with Snetterton and Anglesey. I want to visit all of the UK major tracks (but not 'power tracks' such as Silverstone, I will go to 'power tracks' when I have a faster car), but I also want to save up and do a ‘ring track day next year.

I’ll go to Cadwell once I got better tyres; didn’t want to take any chances with my P6000s in case it’s wet October. :)

I saw 134 degree on ‘spirited drive’! :D

im guessing but youll do/have done a flush and renew on the brake fluid as well as the change of discs/pads?will help a bit if nothing else but your still going to be losing them @7-8 laps in at the hairpin

are you doing an open pit event or a normal hatch' day? if your doing a rolling in-out your tyre temps will matter more as running sessions like a normal track day theyll drop too much inbetween sessions and by the time theyre back up to temp youll be getting more pressure variance than an open pit if your abusing the available time so on a normal track day its harder to set for optimum but checking the first sessions pressures before and after will be the best guide for your next session

what run off have they extended btw? not been up often this year