Sam.l

It wants to steer itself off the road!

Hey all, I'm not sure if this has been answered but after doing searches have not found Any to answer my question. A while ago, I posted regarding why my 91 g60 keeps pulling to the left. After a lengthy thread I was kinda left with the idea that slamming corrado's just doesn't help steering that much! The tracking was checked and is fine, top mounts were replaced probably about 14 months ago. I'm just not convinced that I'm gonna just have to 'put up' with it, could it be a wishbone bush issue? Also would camber be a factor? Looking at the car this morning and it looks as if the passenger front wheel is leaning outwards slightly, or it could be my dodgy eyesight! Just trying to think of any other factors and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Sam.

i would check the subframe, i had a similar issue caused by a crack, which later snapped. causing the wheel to fall into the car

Hi Sam

Why arent you continuing with you original thread otherwise people will just end up repeating the same suggestions etc. For example, I have no real understanding on when this pulling happens to you, is it under acc, brake or normal driving. You may have already covered these basic things in the original post.

FYI, mine is low on 17", and I dont have issues of pulling unless i hit lines on the road and it tends to tramline. So for you to have an issue that sounds dangerous would point out to be something more that "its cus its slammed". Tracking wont sort out the camber unless you specify.

I would get it up on the ramps, check all rod ends, bushes front/rear. Get camber checked/adjusted. Look for any wishbone or subframe damage too.

This is gonna sound really silly, but couldn't find the original thread in the search so started a new one. Apologies if it sounds vague, the problem persists regardless of speed, though slightly more so at higher speeds. The car had passed it's MOT in July just gone. The reason of it being slammed is only what I ended up gathering from the previous thread, however I had yet to check the wishbone bushes which was a suggestion thatni have yet to do. If it's a camber issue how easily is it adjusted bearing in mind the coil overs. I think a trip to the garage is in order to check the rod ends etc, and also to check full camber and tracking. Apologies for the vague nature of this thread, I'm trying to work out what I can do on the drive or whether it's gonna have to go to a garage.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Also, with regards to the camber, what I was wondering is would this cause the car to pull to one side if the camber is a bit off on that side? Just trying to narrow it down as I just don't have much free time in the day at the mo and thinking what I can fit/do on the drive

How much is it 'slammed' by? I ask because you could be experiencing bump steer ie. when your car goes over bumps in the road the tie rod is at such an angle its actually causing the steering to pull to one side and as its generally the outside of the road that is the worst that would be the left side. You can flip the tie rod to cure this, theres a guy selling a kit on ebay for about a tenner. Another cause might just be if your running wide wheels and its tramlining which unfortunately you will have to get used to!

It doesn't really matter if the camber is out if the tracking is correct as it just means that less tyre is on the road surface. For handling reasons I would get that sorted anyway though.

The wheels are 15 by 9's so on the wide side, but thinking about it I didn't have this problem when I bought the car and I ask about the camber and top mounts as I'm wondering whether something happened when I changed them as I can't remember it being like that before. I may have painted a bad picture of the problem as I wouldn't say that it's really dangerous, more annoying. I will look onto the camber issue though. I don't think it's bump steer because it's continuous, not just over bumpy roads!

one option is to raise it back up to standard ride height and go for a drive, if the issue persists at least you know it isnt to do with ride height causing your problems (just make sure you lower it back to the same height after otherwise you will need to repeat the tracking).

Thanks for the reply Sam, can give that a go. One thing I'm worried about is last time I tried to raise the rear end one of the coil overs was wrecked and wouldn't move! Yet another thing on the list to take it off and strip it down.......when I had it mot'd I had to raise the front, and the problem was still the same so am wondering whether it isn't that as a problem. I'm thinking front discs as they shudder slightly under braking (warped), wishbone bushes, or camber so far as possible reasons!

i had shudder while under braking and that turned out to be due to the wishbone bush having gone. Sounds like this could be your issue. I doubt camber would be the main cause for you issue but could be a contributor.

so possibly in order of likelyhood..

bushes

track rods and rod ends

bump steer

Yeah thinking the wishbone bushes could be my problem then, but will of course check out the camber issues and the track rods and ends for wear. Down the garage I go, hopefully monday. Think that a wishbone bush change can be a driveway job, just about!

if you have the necessary tools then maybe, otherwise leave it to the garage as they will have a huge press to take the old bush('s) out and put the new ones in. Would be cheaper if you can hand them the wishbones if they do need doing.

mark everything up, you may need to repeat the tracking afterwards

if you do end up replaceing the wishbones be extra carefull on the bolt for the front bush! you want to soak them in penetrateing fluid

a few days beforehand otherwise this might happen!!

wishboneboltsnapp.jpg

to fix this problem i had to spend almost 6hours on my back drilling the old bolt out and tapping in the new thread,

worked out great!! but what should of been a few hours work replaceing the wishbone turned into a ball ache!

Good piece of advice! I would rather not have to go through what you did! a good soak in WD40 wouold be sufficient i guess? And quicky1980, maybe a quote form the garage is in order and weigh up options then. Hopefully its not the wishbones themselves and just bushes. As far as i know they're fine. They could also do the tracking should it need it. Monday is the day to get this sorted!

It does sound like wishbone bushes to me. Geometry checks can still show as being in spec with knackered bushes. Our Polo was pulling to the left also and the nearside rear wishbone bush was almost completely missing!

Wishbones should be OK but worth checking, typically the rear wishbones bush tends to go first. Most upgrade to the r32/audi 3.2 version as they are a solid rubber bush (plenty of threads on this upgrade).

I have a brand new standard vw bush (non r32) if you do end up needing a replacement and dont wish to go for the upgraded version.

Either way, hopefully Monday can give you an idea for the cause of you issues.

Edited by quicky1980

Yeah indeed, thanks for all the advice guys. Am fairly sure now it's the bushes. May just replace all round depending on price from the garage. Are the r32 bushes a direct replacement or is modification required? Also would anyone recommend some power flex bushes instead of standard? Bearing in mind the ride is pretty stiff already, a

Though in aid of better handling can only be a good thing.

A full set of OEM VAG bushes inc the ARB ones will set you back around £70 from vw.

It was the first job i did to my car as i too had the change lane problem every time i hit the pedal.

The fitting of the bushes is straight forward, its the getting them off the car that takes the time. Take care as i also snapped a couple of bolts and ended up welding a new nut into the sub frame and replacing all the bolts.

I still have the part numbers for bushes and bolts if you need them?

Wishbones should be OK but worth checking, typically the rear wishbones bush tends to go first. Most upgrade to the r32/audi 3.2 version as they are a solid rubber bush (plenty of threads on this upgrade).

I have a brand new standard vw bush (non r32) if you do end up needing a replacement and dont wish to go for the upgraded version.

Either way, hopefully Monday can give you an idea for the cause of you issues.

is it an r32 wishbone bush so that is the suggested fitment to the rear of a Corrado wishbone so?

Tristan, yes I believe so but im sure someone else can confirm?

Any updates on sorting this problem Sam, mine is pulling to the right a lot but I have just changed the suspension and wheels so need full 4 wheel alignment (tracking and camber doing) but thinking I will replace the wishbone bushes as well. Wondered if you have done this yet and if it cured the problem?

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed reply. Unfortunately I havnt managed to sort the car yet due to not having the time with work really. The car is also not running properly at the mo due to some frustrating problem with the fuelling/timing as it keeps misfiring and cutting out. Need to sort that first then at least I can get it to a garage to sort wishbone bushes. All is not well at the mo :-( gutted.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

But when I finally get round to it I intend to replace the front wishbone bushes and possibly the rears. The drop links and bushes on the arb have been done fairly recently so going to replace the wishbone bushes and cross my fingers.

yupo , got two bushes to fit to my car next week.

Are they from a mk4 R32? How much were they? Dont suppose you have part numbers?