bmcc

Play in Gearstick, and under bonnet

Sometimes hard to engage 5th gear, had a look at the repair guide for gearbox and seems ok under the actual gearknob, there is a lot of play in it though when it is in neutral, and noticed the two rod type things that under bonnet attached to top of gearbox, one is pretty firm and the other has fair bit of play in it.

is this normal?

1991 corrado g60

it gets the gear, but sometimes just finding 5th needs two attempts, not normal and i would rather get it sorted.

and the other has fair bit of play in it.

That play would be sufficient to cause you problems as described.

There's no separate end piece to the cable change so new cable or securing bolt or both to remove the play. Depends what wear you find when you take it apart.

Could start by replacing the cable eye bolt if its not the one with the shift weight attached to it. The plain bolt is M8 (x 1mm fine pitch) x 32mm long. Should be able to get that locally to try out, probably 30mm long.

going to try have better look at it today while its dry, i mean it can work fine for days on end then sometimes it will struggle to find fifth, so put back into neutral and then goes into 5th no problem.

Its just as if its just missing it and no more, but like i said the gearstick itself has a hell of a lot of movement when its in neutral, not tight at all

e979d43a.jpg

5bdd5b10.jpg

2f3b9003.jpg

thats pic of bit under bonnet, piece on left seems to have a little bit of play in it, ie i can shake it from side to side, should this be stiff?

seems to be like the underside bracket bit that has play in it, dont know if its missing any plastic pieces etc

have heard of putting a mk3 golf tdi gearbox in to replace one in g60, has anyone ever done this mod and if so will it fix any my problems at the same time?

yeah i seen that post, but doesnt answer question if it will tighten up my gearstick, as the gearbox is fine in the g60 just a lot of play and causing problems sometimes selecting 5th gear

I'd try fixing the gear selector first before swapping gearboxes, sounds like you've got too much play at the gearbox end.

there definitely is a lot of play on piece that is attached to gearbox, i dont know if a pic of another g60 bay maybe be able to see better, as pics i posted arent the best