Jim Bowen

Engine Support Beam Question?

Just got home and got this unwrapped and a bit confused about it.

Its a Sealey made one.

2011-10-19175522.jpg

2011-10-19175543.jpg

Basically the whole red beam rotates around the bolts in the black bits, can't see the point of it and can't tighten it up as its just a bolt into threaded metal hole.

is this normal before i phone up Sealey tomorrow?

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

can delete this thread, think its me being stupid....lol

Yeah, once you have a weight attached to it, it will all balance out and it won't move. The twisty knobs will just adjust the width by the looks of it.

Hi We have one of these,all you need to do is loosen the bolt either side which is in the bracket to straighten the top bar,then re-tighten,the plastic screw handles are for lengthening and shortening the bar depending on width of engine bay,hope this helps if any probs I can send you some pics of ours which may help you,but after you straighten it up you will be fine.

Basically the whole red beam rotates around the bolts in the black bits, can't see the point of it and can't tighten it up as its just a bolt into threaded metal hole.

Same as mine, they do tighten up and they need to or it will flop one side or the other. It allows for the slope on the inner wings for different vehicles so you can keep the actual support chain/lifter level in the two bars of the beam.