quicky1980

VR6 Dropped Spindles/hub

I will see what I can do about destroying a LBJ over the break.

I am convinced it will come apart and long drop replacement bearing and shaft could be fitted.

Jay

Just to keep this alive, the main man Daves16v is sending me an old LBJ to pull apart. So when I get 5 mins in amongst the Rado rebuild, the engine mounts Group Buy, oh and a two year old and a new born I will see what I can work out from it.

Hi,

Was speaking to Jay last week and he showed me what was going on here! Very impressed with the progress and engineering going on, also glad the scanned parts are being put good use. The renders are looking very good, whats the software your using for the CAD?

I've just got a website up and running for my scanning work and actaully have a little animation of the hub here

Theres also a gallery on there (see my signature) and I'd love add some of the screen shots you have uploaded, if you dont mind? its an excellent example of the reverse engineering process!

I shall defo be keeping a close eye on this project, will be great to see a neat solution to keeping proper geometry while getting the C nice and low

Edited by tribetype40

Hi Doug,

the software is Solidworks. Pretty simple and what i'm used to. Yeah feel free to use whatever, that's fine!

Just to add a personal update - I'm going to ask my boss about possibility of using work CAD to continue designing this. They're not too keen about people bringing in memory sticks but I'll see what he says. Also, we have a fully kitted out machine shop downstairs below the mezzanine I work on - multiple 3-axis and 5-axis machines, and I know they have done work like this for other companies (can't say who I'm afraid) through machining solid billets, and even on the racing cars they used to run. In case you're confused, I've moved companies since this project begun...!

I'll see what he says. The prices for machining from billet in Engineering Grade Alu will probs mean we'd need a fairly hefty amount of minimums (GB?), but I know that the machines are capable to run overnight to keep costs down by working outside premium hours. Possibility for FDM core prototypes too, but it's all speculation at this stage.

No promises, but I'll ask.

So I spoke to the MD just now, and he is quite interested in the idea of getting some hubs made up. As I mentioned before they make Ally / Titanium hubs for other companies that sell brand-specific racing parts, and also the company used to race a Golf/Vento VR6 and they designed in-house some quite trick front hubs which I’ve seen pics of (but not seen the CAD yet). I wonder how different the housings would be to the 5-stud Corrado items…? I basically mentioned that some of you were looking at redesigning the hubs to allow for easy 4-pot caliper fitment, perhaps some offset mods to allow for wider track and a few other bits besides. I guess we could even think about redesigning ABS pickup on the hub to allow for newer sensors to be used, but that’s all speculation / crazy monkey thoughts.

I’m sure they would be interested in doing machined from solid BJE items also once we work out the final models for them (especially as these will likely have a higher number of interested parties than the hubs). I’m hoping to get cracking on this more in the near future – I’ve been taught a lot more modelling/surfacing in this new position so I’d be able to mod the original hub/lbj much much better now.

@Jay, did you have any luck with real-world modding of a LBJ to fit the lowering situation? I’m starting to realise the appeal of these as my Mk2 tends to dart left and right a little on bumpy roads. Obviously VR BJEs won’t fix my Golf, but at least I understand the need for them! :D

Let’s keep this thread alive.

Well it just so happens that Dave's LBJ arrived in the post a couple of days back after the first one he sent got lost in the post. So I now have one to experiment with and was hoping to get out in the garage tonight and see how it comes apart (if it does).

So watch this space.....

Jay

Great news fella! I'm gonna open original IGES data at work and have a play - i'll bring my USB with updated parts in tomorrow all being well.

MD has allowed me to use one of the old versions of Solidworks now from work (we use 2012 at the mo, but have discs back to 2009) so I'm happy to say that I'll be back on this from this weekend all being well (and there's a 64-bit version available!)

Jon.

....so......did I drop the ball on this one? I can't actually remember where we go to...

If all originally interested parties could post reminders / flames / hate mail, I'd appreciate it!

Jon.

I got all excited when I saw this thread at the top of the New Posts page..... then was quickly dissapointed again :lol:

It didn't go anywhere dude. There must be something from an existing VW/Audi we can use? I've also heard of offset lower BJs to give more caster whilst we're at it, but can't remember what model they were on. A Polo I think.

Perhaps a little more research is in order. I'm perfectly happy to do the design work and I can prob get a set made up either in plastic via rapid prototyping for trial fit or out of metal but i'd actually have to check on that.

I think I rushed into trying to design something whereas I don't even have a VR6 to even look at or see how the whole suspension needs moving. I udnerstand it's a harder task than a 4-cyl BJE.

If anyone else has some input on this let's try to get something going again...! wooo! yeeeeaahh....

*tumbleweed*

I thought the existing wishbones already allow a certain camber adjustment? These dont appear to change any geometry (camber, caster etc) Or am I missing something.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

doh! I think I figured what your saying...the subframe mounting points look adjustable so therefore some adjustments can be made. Interesting option.

Unfortunately they don't address the bump steer issue, but they do look nice though!

Those rose joints wouldn't last long at all on a road car and it may even need an SVA test before you can use them!

This is exactly what we need, but they're just for MK4s at the moment :( http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_182_222&products_id=1856

Most tuners don't give a rats about cars younger than MK4 anymore but USRT are the boys for handling.

I wonder if MK4 wishbones will fit Corrados? The tie rod end will probably work tho. I'm sure if there's enough demand they might do them for Corrados / MK3 as well.