Sign in to follow this  
Jon TDI

Is anyone running their G60 without the ISV?

I was just wanting to know if anyone has done this in the UK. I know people have done this in the US, but obviously they have a different climate to the UK. The only problem I can see is that the idle screw may need adjusting to around 1000rpm.

Comments from both sides of the Atlantic are welcome.

you're right on Jon.. you can take it out, and adjust your idle to whatever you want at the screw.

Is there any advantage this? I am kinda curious to know as I dont know what the advantage to this would be over leaving it on :)

Well, if it's knackered then the idle will hunt around. Some have cleaned it out with carb/brake cleaner, but this dosn't work all the time. A brand new one is in region of £120.

The reason it's there is to allow air to bypass the throttle butterfly on closed throttle, so you have a nice steady idle. If you remove the ISV, the idle screw could do that job. And it's one less thing to leak boost.

Ummm...sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm still on a steep learning curve with superchargers. That photograph (from Jon G60) shows a cone performance air filter. I thought they were a 'no no' on G60 engines for some reason?

'no no' because they suck in hot air with that setup. either route a cold air duct or run the filter down through the carbon cannister hole.

'no no' because high flow filters let in some tiny particles that regular filters shouldn't... which in turn can foil up the charger over time. but this is a controversial issue. i run a high-flow filter personally... i'll let you really informed folks chime in here.. :)

Cotton gauze filters are OK to use but I've heard stories about the foam filters sucking in tiny particles into the G-lader.

Anyway, back to the ISV-less situation. I had a play about last night, unplugged the ISV (while the engine was turned off) & then started it up. Initially the idle was low, but I adjusted the idle screw so it was ticking over at just under 1000rpm & it was rock steady.

At the weekend I'll completely remove the ISV & plug up the spout on the inlet manifold & boost return pipe (I'm thinking of ditching this too!), then see how it goes. :wink:

So, I've had about a week of driving around with the ISV removed.

Initial impressions were OK, but on cold start ups in the morning, it would idle at about 500rpm & then once it was warmed up, idle was at 1100rpm.

I decided to give the ISV a good clean out with white spirit & put i back on. I also removed the carbon canister & vaccum lines. While I was at it, I removed the boost return pipe! The ISV outlet is routed back into the throttle body & I've put a little K&N filter on the crankcase breather. The G-Lader is just blanked off with a make-shift item for now.

I've just enquired about a stainless steel blanking plate & an oil catch tank from PD Motorsport. :D